BH209 on sale . . .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
. . . at Cabelas. I was there ordering a crossbow scope and saw the BH209 was on sale $8 off for $28.99. I was running low so I picked up some.

Did the same 2 weeks ago. It was the same lot # as my last batch. I'll probably get another bottle next week on my way back from the farm, especially at that price and I have the points.

My Cabelas is over 100 miles roundtrip -- more like 120. That's a bummer! When I'm ready for my next BH 209 jug, I'll probably get it at 65 miles roundtrip Bass Pro Shop, regular price is $34.99. My local ma and pa gun shop (MichiGun), which is only eight miles roundtrip, wants $42.99 for it.

As a reminder, you can get it online from Carlos. This past October, I got two bottles to my door for $73.00. That's $29 per bottle and $15 for the shipping. I live in Clifton, VA. Works out to $36.50 a bottle (2 bottle minimum). Not as good as some places but I've nothing close.

tpcollins said:
Steve - you didn't have to pay a hazmat fee?

No. At least it was not a separate charge. Word is, the hazmat fee is incorporated into the price. It has always been that way through Ed's Gun Shop.

Ed's Gun Shop
5560 US 1 HWY
Vass, NC 28394
(910) 692-7936
(910) 692-4867 fax

TripleSe7en said:
My Cabelas is over 100 miles roundtrip -- more like 120. That's a bummer! When I'm ready for my next BH 209 jug, I'll probably get it at 65 miles roundtrip Bass Pro Shop, regular price is $34.99. My local ma and pa gun shop (MichiGun), which is only eight miles roundtrip, wants $42.99 for it.

Daygone are they price gouging. In the NLP its only $32 normal price and there's at least a case in one store ...

SteveH said:
tpcollins said:
Steve - you didn't have to pay a hazmat fee?

No. At least it was not a separate charge. Word is, the hazmat fee is incorporated into the price. It has always been that way through Ed's Gun Shop.

Ed's Gun Shop
5560 US 1 HWY
Vass, NC 28394
(910) 692-7936
(910) 692-4867 fax

I was under the impression a hazmat fee was levied every time it's shipped. I would think there'd be a fee from the distributer to Ed's and another fee from Ed's to you. I would think the government would snatch every penny they could. I thought it was like buying a car - you pay sales tax when it's new, the next guy that buys it used pays sales tax, and the third guy, etc.

I would think if it went from the distributor to Ed's and then from Ed's to you - there should be two hazmat fees. Ed's should see a one time fee for a truckload and there should be a $20 charge for one jug going to you. Originally Cabelas was out of BH209 last week so I was going to order it online and there was a $20 hazmat fee added in. So when I went to Cabelas this morning, I asked them if I ordered the BH209 as ship to store would the $20 be waived and they said no. Luckily that had it in stock.

tpcollins said:
I would think if it went from the distributor to Ed's and then from Ed's to you - there should be two hazmat fees. Ed's should see a one time fee for a truckload and there should be a $20 charge for one jug going to you. Originally Cabelas was out of BH209 last week so I was going to order it online and there was a $20 hazmat fee added in. So when I went to Cabelas this morning, I asked them if I ordered the BH209 as ship to store would the $20 be waived and they said no. Luckily that had it in stock.

It's somewhat of a mystery why Carlos does not charge the customary $20-25 hazmat fee on each shipment, but they have been doing it for years with no problem. Some say it's because he deals in so much volume he recovers it in other ways. He does post on this site occasionally and I believe he explained it once. You might try a search. Apparently the hazmat fee is not a set amount required by law, but rather more of an industry standard, perhaps set by insurance rates.

Latest posts

Back