Boolet Inquiry?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54-120 said:
I seem to remember Sabotloader got some lighter 50cal conicals somewhere. IIRC he shot them in the Knight UL a few times. I think they were in the 330-350gr range.

Yep! and they shoot very well. Bull Shop Dan made them for me. Right at 350 grain.

Busta said:
CVA has a minimum of 50 grains, and a maximum of 100 grains of powder for the pistols. They also have a maximum bullet weight at 300 grains for saboted bullets, and 400 grains for conicals.

The only conical I have shot in mine was the Hornady 350 gr FPB. Although a great bullet in my .502" rifle bores, it wasn't so good in my pistol. About 2.5" @ 50 yards IIRC.

In your other thread, never use abrasive torch tip cleaners in your flash hole. If you have fibers in there, just burn them out with a lighter. It makes me cringe, everytime I hear torch-tip cleaner and flash hole in the same sentence.
I was aware of the min an max recommendations. I found some 250 grain all lead bullets that Hunter280man made for me many moons ago... .451 but they will work in a sabot.
I won't be putting the torch tip cleaner down my BP either!!
I never thought of the lighter in the BP, will try that next time, doesn't happen with the Whites, but did in the CVA plug and my former Encore plug, Thanks!!

I owe CVA a big apology the video I was referring to was made by Blackhorn Powder http://www.blackhorn209.com/videos/ :huh?:

I still wish they made the Optima pistol in 45cal. I would have to try one then. Eds 350gr "Gould" bullets would be very interesting in a 45cal pistol. Plus i have sizing dies for .449, .451 and .454 for sabotless jacketed bullets too.

If you could lap that 50cal to .501, i bet there are some 50A&E or 500S&W bullets that might shoot sabotless without any resizing.

I shoot .503" lead conical bullets in my .502' bores all the time. Prefer them oversized .001" than undersized. Shoot as good as my Whites do.

I haven't slugged the bore of my Optima Pistol, but if you're saying it is .499", I would prefer a .500' bullet anyways, as long as they shoot well. I like my bullets, especially for hunting to be oversized just a touch. That way, they stay seated on the powder. I haven't had any accuracy issues with all lead conicals sized .001" over bore diameter, but have not shot them out of the pistol either. I would surely try them if that is what I wanted to shoot.

Just remember, .001" over bore diameter is only shaving .0005" of lead from each land. Just enough to hold it in a clean bore, but not enough to deform the bullet while loading.

Lee sells a .501 standard lube sizer die kit for under $30. MidwayUSA sells it for $21
http://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.501.html Somewhere i have a link to some other custom sizers that are a tad cheaper than Lee's custom sizer.

I size my .45Xs to .001 over land dimensions and it appears to work fine with BH209. My 54cals are even a little larger vs the lands in my 54-120. I bet Dan can size his boolits to .501. Thats a standard size for a couple CF rounds. Maybe he can send you a couple 350gr .501 samples to make sure they fit your bore.

EDIT: Ahhh here it is $25 for custom size Lee, Lyman and RCBS types.
http://www.doughtyent.com/Pages/SizingDies.html

Busta: I asked CVA what the Optima pistol bore were and they replied via facebook that they were .500 and I assume the rifles as well. They also said thats why they recommend powerbelts because they are sized at .490 for the .500 bores.

Latest posts

Back