Blackhorn CVA Optima ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guess your never too old to learn or ask a question.... :lol:

What size torch tip cleaner do you use in a CVA QRBP to clean out the plug channel?

CVA says to use a #32 drill bit to also clean out the QRPB is that the same as a 1/32 bit or the metric version?

I looked on here but never saw these answers, unless I missed it. Thanks!!

Number drill is for cleaning flame channel and 1/32 is for flash hole

you can get the torch tip cleaner at lowes ..its under 5.00 but be carful using them since they are knurled to clean the tips..just push it in and out...thats all it takes....if you do a back and forth motion you could abrade the orfice and open it..even with a drill just push it in so it does not cut the opening....

on the primer pocket side cyou can rotate the drill with out a lot of pressure to cut the carbon...

The Blackhorn CVA QRBP takes a 1/8" drill in the flame channel, the # 32 drill fits the standard QRBP, and is smaller. The 1/32" drill may be a tad large to fit through the flash hole, without enlarging it some.

Al-53 said:
you can get the torch tip cleaner at lowes ..its under 5.00 but be carful using them since they are knurled to clean the tips..just push it in and out...thats all it takes....if you do a back and forth motion you could abrade the orfice and open it..even with a drill just push it in so it does not cut the opening....

on the primer pocket side cyou can rotate the drill with out a lot of pressure to cut the carbon...
Do you know the correct size of torch tip cleaner for the CVA plug?

ronlaughlin said:
The Blackhorn CVA QRBP takes a 1/8" drill in the flame channel, the # 32 drill fits the standard QRBP, and is smaller. The 1/32" drill may be a tad large to fit through the flash hole, without enlarging it some.
Thanks Ron!! Do I really need a torch tip cleaner or not?

I personally never use anything metal in the Flash Hole, I personably don't think it is necessary. The only time I do, I use a set of torch tip cleaners (they come in a small set) and only use the smooth tips to find the one that fits the tightest when verifying the flash hole size. Otherwise I just flush it out with choke cleaner or some such.

toytruck said:
ronlaughlin said:
Thanks Ron!! Do I really need a torch tip cleaner or not?

I would tell you I agree with Shawn stay out of the flash hole with anything except when you think it is necessary to verify Flash Hole erosion.

The Flash channel on the other hand does need to be cleaned. I just use a simple twist drill turned by hand. to clean the carbon build up out.

I just mount a drill bit in a stick for the project.

LongNippledrill.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Ok...the torch tip cleaner idea came from Blackhorn Powders in one of their BP cleaning video's :| When I use T7 in the whites I just used a pipe cleaner, which does the job. In the CVA Optima plug the pipe cleaner leaves some fibers in the channel which is a PIA to remove, usually with a needle. Maybe I should have left well enough alone an stayed in the white corner with no worries!! :wall: oh, well...

Thanks for the info everyone!! 8)

I use a nipple pick for the flash hole. It's round and smooth, and won't take off any material. It does clear any fouling though.

edmehlig said:
TT when are you going to see the Light....err White??? :lol:
:lol: :lol: I thought I did Ed...every now an then you just gotta complicate things to keep it interesting, that's my story!! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back