Stuck primers with disc extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lately my primers have been getting stuck on the bolt face, requiring me to close the bolt, shoot again, and then the primer comes out easy.

I am shooting an older model Disc Extreme using a pretty new Lehigh breech plug with removable vent liner (picked one up on Dave's last run before he became fully dedicated to Knight). I am shooting BH209, either 100gr with a Speer DCHP 240gr bullet or 70-90gr with a No Excuses 460 conical. Using CCI 209M primers. I know the primers are not ideal but I have a boatload of them. I have maybe a bottle and a half of BH209 through this breach plug. Primers and breech area are still very clean after a day of shooting.

So what are the causes and what is the fix?

Thanks,

Switch to W209 primer, and after you shoot them, you may have your answer, if you have a caliper to measure all your primers, before, and after.

Shim or shim and polish the primer pocket. IIRC Sabotloader has a link to the SS shims to try.

Make sure the vent liner flash hole has not grown faster than expected.

Try a Win209 just to see if they come out smoothly.

I was shooting federal 209 primers when I got my disk elite....they were sticking like yours..I switched to Win 209's and problem solved...

SteveH said:
Lately my primers have been getting stuck on the bolt face, requiring me to close the bolt, shoot again, and then the primer comes out easy.

I am shooting an older model Disc Extreme using a pretty new Lehigh breech plug with removable vent liner (picked one up on Dave's last run before he became fully dedicated to Knight). I am shooting BH209, either 100gr with a Speer DCHP 240gr bullet or 70-90gr with a No Excuses 460 conical. Using CCI 209M primers. I know the primers are not ideal but I have a boatload of them. I have maybe a bottle and a half of BH209 through this breach plug. Primers and breech area are still very clean after a day of shooting.

So what are the causes and what is the fix?

Thanks,

highly suggested you follow Ron's suggestion and try the W209. With the Lehigh there is not need of a Mag primer - creates to much pressure on a loose primer.

If you have to use the Mag primers you will need to shim the primer pocket in the Lehigh Plug. It was designed for the length of the W209.

Thanks for the advice. Figured it was most likely the primers but was not positive since the breech area is so clean. Now all I have to do is find some place that has the W209s.

SteveH said:

Or... you can keep and use the ton of primers you already have and for the price of one small box/sleeve of Win209 primers, enter Harbor Freight store and buy a palm sized, curled-end, bent-nose pliers, which I have already done to remove my primers. I do not recall the exact price I paid, but I think it was cheaper than one sleeve/box of W209 primers. I do believe it was $1.99.

I have about 1000 Federal 209A primers on-hand and I refuse to buy another brand, just because the designer of a breechplug chose another brand for precise tolerances and fit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/pliers/4-3-4-quarter-inch-bent-needle-nose-pliers-40698.html

Getting any pliers IN the NFPJ adapter would be a little challenging. The primer does not stay in the plug, it gets stuck IN the adapter. Dry firing the fired primer is MUCH easier. It pushes the anvil back into the primer cup.

Shimming the primer pocket for a tighter head space is relatively simple and cheap.

GM54-120 is right..there is not much room in the extreme action to get any thing in there...barely get the primer in..lol...once you try the W209A primers your problem may be solved...since they are the longest primers so you should get a little crush fit with them

Sabotloader (or anyone), could you give me a little more info on the shim needed to make my CCI 209ms work better, at least until I find a local source for the W209s.

Thanks,

SteveH said:
GM54-120 said:

Thanks, GM54-120. So do you put the shim on the primer prior to loading?

the shim goes in the primer pocket on the breech plug...set it all the way down to the shelf in there...it may even take 2 ..try one at first...if you switch later to the winchester primer...try a primer first and see how it works with the shim..if tight take shim out....

SteveH said:
GM54-120 said:

Thanks, GM54-120. So do you put the shim on the primer prior to loading?

The shim that GM54 posted is the correct shim. If you noticed the OD of the shim is 0.0248 which is slightly larger than the primer pocket, so it is a press fit and once fitted it is there to stay. To install one place it in the primer pocket and use a spent 209 primer to drive it in and to the bottom of the pocket. Be sure and clean the pocket and primer shelf before installing the shim.

W209 primers are near 0.300" inches long. CCI209M's average just slightly shorter at 0.29? to 0.29+. I would only install one of the 0.005 shims at a time trying the fit after the installation. You should feel a slight 'crush' as you push the bolt handle down. Even once you get the correct fit there is still the chance that a Mag primer can create enough pressure to move the primer back out of the battery cup into the face of the bolt.

Using Mag primers will cause the 'flash channel' in the breech pulg to fill much faster and as it fills it creates more back pressure on the the 209 forcing the primer out. You will need a 5/32" drill bit turned by hand to clean the 'flash channel'

This is a picture of the shim that has been driven down with a spent primer.

Guys, thanks again. :yeah: I may just wait till I can find the W209 primers. I don't want to shim if it is a hassle or not possible to remove them. Ultimately I will go with the W209s, just need to figure out what to do with all the CCI 209Ms I have. My Omega X7 likes the Rem STS primers, they are not too hard to find.

Maybe I need another ML so I can use up the CCIs! 8)

SteveH said:
Guys, thanks again. :yeah: I may just wait till I can find the W209 primers. I don't want to shim if it is a hassle or not possible to remove them. Ultimately I will go with the W209s, just need to figure out what to do with all the CCI 209Ms I have. My Omega X7 likes the Rem STS primers, they are not too hard to find.

You could use an 'O' ring - they will not last very long but they are easy to remove.

Ron has the part numbers for the 'O' rings.

I us the same shim as sabot and I take a file and make the od smaller so I can check the fit first so I can remove. if to thick place on file and file thinner so you get the wright crush on the primer. then make new one that thickness. your good to go just keep using the some primer after. I use .003 or .004 crush on primer.

sabotloader said:
SteveH said:

You could use an 'O' ring - they will not last very long but they are easy to remove.

Ron has the part numbers for the 'O' rings.

Nice idea. :yeah: Should have thought of that myself as I already have the 'O' rings for my Omega.

It seems to me, if i remember correctly, the o-ring gets boogered up, when one closes the bolt... pretty sure, i know i tried it, and thus isn't a good solution for bolt action Knight rifles.

SteveH said:
Thanks for the advice. Figured it was most likely the primers but was not positive since the breech area is so clean. Now all I have to do is find some place that has the W209s.

If you can't find the W209 primers let me know, I can get just about any primer on the market.

Latest posts

Back