Question For Muzzleloader Hunters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I would not hunt with ML if it was primitive only. My biggest beef with that line of thought is when they make archery primitive only (long bow, no sights) I will support a primitive ML season. Using a 80% letoff bow, carbon arrows, sights, parallel limbs, expanding mechanical broadheads, 300+ fps bows, etc., is no different than using a scope mounted inline shooting modern powder with a sabot encased modern bullet.

Yes I have hunted with flintlocks. I will not do it again. I own FL and percussion side lock guns that will not be fired as long as I own them. I don't like black powder or Pyrodex nor do I have any plans to use them again. I have nothing against those that choose to use that style of weapon. As long as they don't preach that everyone should be using them.

I prefer modern technology applied to historical methods. In my state we don't get an extra season by using ML guns. We can have one tag per species per year (when you are lucky enough to actually draw a tag). I enjoy hunting with a single shot front loading rifle.

yes.....started out shooting a flint lock but it made me flinch if shooting offhand, on a rest or against a tree no flinch or at least it didnt effect me as much.... open sights would be my limiting factor but would still hunt just limit my distance to 50-75 yds.

TripleSe7en said:
No
No more percussion sidelocks for me ether, unless Michigan outlaws inlines.
I will never purchase a flintlock ML..... ever. Not even if it becomes the only ML season here in Michigan. If that happens, I'm done muzzleloading period/exclamation point
Might be the best answer here!

I"m a little late to the discussion and surprised no one has mentioned failing eye sight.

If I had to use iron sights, I have a 50 yard weapon. I would probably do it, however, my Brother, the Opthalmologist would not be pleased,

To date, I have not shot a flinter.

I have never shot a flinter, but if that was my only option for an extra season, you bet I would! Especially when the season is in the rut, like elk muzzy season in Colorado (where I hunt). I already have to hunt with open sights, so that is no biggie for me. I am a bowhunter too, but a muzzy extends my range by at least a 4X (40 vs. 120 yards) If you know your geometry, that is 5000 square yards of "shooting area" vs 45,000 sq yards.

Latest posts

Back