Question For Muzzleloader Hunters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
This is a question i've always been curious about. This applies mostly for the hunter who shoots a modern scoped inline for hunting. Mostly for the ones who got into using a muzzleloader to have another season to hunt.

If the muzzleloader season you hunt now was a primitive season, and the law was you could only use a flintlock with a round ball, real black powder, and primitive open sights. Would you have still got into muzzleloaders?

Just curious.

Absolutely I would! In fact, I wish Colorado would go to a separate "primitive" season (in addition to the regular muzzy season) and give muzzleloaders as much time to pursue elk during the rut in September as archery hunters. I would probably give up archery all together if this were the case.

I would still hunt. It would be an excuse to get a flintlock finally :wink:

Our current regs in MN allow inlines but no scopes during the late ML season. If they did away with allowing inlines and went to traditional only the number of hunters would drop significantly id bet.

Honestly, I would likely not have. I'm very happy with my BH209, scope, and stainless inline. Go ahead and call me a wimp.

What I would likely do, is seriously consider a crossbow. Here in Virginia, I then could pretty much hunt from September through March.

Muley Hunter said:
This is a question i've always been curious about. This applies mostly for the hunter who shoots a modern scoped inline for hunting. Mostly for the ones who got into using a muzzleloader to have another season to hunt.

If the muzzleloader season you hunt now was a primitive season, and the law was you could only use a flintlock with a round ball, real black powder, and primitive open sights. Would you have still got into muzzleloaders?

Just curious.

More than likely, I started with a Percussion 54 cal. Lyman Trade shooting PRB's.

Yes, When VA first started the ML seasons scopes were not allowed. I killed my first ML buck that year, but within 25yds., scopes are now allowed and you can reach out some. My two ML kills last year were at 50 an 65yds. Scopes make it safer an more ethical to kill an animal and the type of ignition doesn't matter!! IMO

SteveH said:
Honestly, I would likely not have. I'm very happy with my BH209, scope, and stainless inline. Go ahead and call me a wimp.

What I would likely do, is seriously consider a crossbow. Here in Virginia, I then could pretty much hunt from September through March.

You gotta try a CB!! I did and killed my first ever bow kill last fall, a button buck...missed a big single doe. Its really a lot of fun and the weather is a lot better, just gotta get em skinned an in the cooler faster. :yeah:

Well my first ML was a T/C Hawkens but in all honesty i did not buy it for hunting.

No, i would not. I would just continue using my inline during the firearms season like i have for many many years. There are plenty of "primitive" conservation area hunts in my state. They get to hunt the best of the best CAs in the state and ive never applied for any of those hunts. These hunts are also BEFORE firearms season unlike our "alternative" method season (as its called now).

There is no way i would buy a Flintlock/PRB only shooter just to hunt LAST during the coldest part of the season. I would rather get another bow and get more than 5 times the amount of time to hunt and get the additional tags.

:yeah:

No problem. I would still hunt with the flintlock or hopefully a percussion. :!: :!:

Ray............. :wink:

No changing the question Ray. :D

This would be strictly a primitive flintlock season.

Let me also add for everyone answering. This would be the only muzzleloader season, but it would be in a good time of the year. We can also imagine that this would have started before modern inlines were invented. With no season for them. They might never have been either.

The same question could be asked bow hunters. Would you still hunt with a bow if you had to use a traditional bow, wood arrows, and no sights?

toytruck said:
or a model T with standard transmission vs a turbo engine with automatic the list is endless...Its called progress for a reason!!

So, you're answer is no, you wouldn't have hunted.

No
No more percussion sidelocks for me ether, unless Michigan outlaws inlines.
I will never purchase a flintlock ML..... ever. Not even if it becomes the only ML season here in Michigan. If that happens, I'm done muzzleloading period/exclamation point

I've never owned a flintlock, I would like too someday when time and money permits. I'm playing with smokeless now and having a great time experimenting.

I think that's why I enjoy muzzleloading so much. Always something to learn and always trying to squeeze more range and accuracy out of my current rifles.

Not many restrictions on muzzleloaders in Iowa, min .44 cal and no electronic ignition.

Now if Iowa had what your questioned asked, then YES I would have. More experimenting and having a good time doing it :D

For me, it's about being out in the woods hunting, by myself or with family. I'm out for the youth season, bow season, gun season, and late muzzleloader season. If there was a spear only season, I'd be out. I use the most modern/effective legal weapon I can so I can make a quick humane harvest. From what I have read, those flintlocks can be very effective at the right range and load combo :yeah:

toytruck said:
Yes, When VA first started the ML seasons scopes were not allowed. I killed my first ML buck that year, but within 25yds., scopes are now allowed and you can reach out some. My two ML kills last year were at 50 an 65yds. Scopes make it safer an more ethical to kill an animal and the type of ignition doesn't matter!! IMO
Muley Hunter said:
toytruck said:
or a model T with standard transmission vs a turbo engine with automatic the list is endless...Its called progress for a reason!!

So, you're answer is no, you wouldn't have hunted.

Yes, I would have...

Honestly I don't know. I think so but I was in a lot different place at the time. I initially started shooting muzzleloaders when I moved to MN and it was an option so I didn't have to use a shotgun on a deer. Now I've become more obsessed, and my collection has gone through a progression to where I'm playing with smokeless now. At the same time I think I have more of an interest in trying to build a Hawken. I think as time allows in the future I can see myself venturing into the traditional arena.
I guess to answer the question, at the time, I don't think I would have. If the laws changed today, I would welcome the change.

Latest posts

Back