Leaking Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What caused the leaking primers to the right? Primers to the left are normal.

• Plugged flame channel

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Plugged flash hole

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Flash hole too large

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Primer too tight i.e. head space too small

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primer too loose i.e. head space too large

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Flame channel too small

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Flame channel too large

• Flash hole too small

• Too much powder

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Ambient temperature too high

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Muley Hunter said:
You don't put any fault on the primers Ron?

Hey Pete,

Note what Scott wrote previously in this thread.

GM54-120 said:
.....My best guess was the STS battery cup was weaker than some 209 primers.....

And.... recall the photo of the primers fired in the Optima using the same load, posted previously in this thread.

IMG_0210.JPG

And.... recall what Scott wrote on the other forum.

GM54-120 said:
....Primer pocket is slightly over sized or simply not supporting the area near the rim of the primer enough.....

Remember what Omega218er wrote on the other forum...

I use STS primers in an Omega with 80 grains of Blackhorn and 300 grain XTP's and they have never leaked.

Pete, What is the answer? What do you think?

:mrgreen:

I am going to say the STS primers are at fault...cant handle the load or just a bad batch....the other primers you shown seem to look fine...

like said the battery cup looks weaker since they expanded into the bushing so much..and leaked

To be honest I didn't read this whole thread, because you have one on HN too. I had said to use Fed primers, and when you did they didn't have the same problem. I thought it was settled that it was the primers, and didn't read much after that.

IMG_0210.JPG

Al-53 said:
I am going to say the STS primers are at fault...cant handle the load or just a bad batch....the other primers you shown seem to look fine...

like said the battery cup looks weaker since they expanded into the bushing so much..and leaked

Supposedly, the photo contains 1000 words of data. Do you think it is possible you are ignoring the data indicating the primers from that batch work just fine?

Latest posts

Back