My T/C Scout 209 conversion pic heavy!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jem44357

Reaction score
I purchased a breech plug from Track of the Wolf and a Davide Pedersoli #209 Primer Nipple Conversion Kit from Cabelas. I had a machinist friend mill off the #11 nipple and drill and tap (1/4-28 bottom tap) the breech plug so the kit was recessed to make the o.o.l. as short as possible for hammer travel and still allow the firing button to screw down tight which installs very easy after the gun is assembled and with the scope in place. I drilled the shroud out with a 0.465" drill for clearence for the button. I fired a primer off today. Normally I point the muzzle at the grass/weeds when I pop a #11 cap so I can see it is clear and it moves them around a bit. The 209 primer blew the weeds to pieces... I was happy!

scout_zpspdk0kter.png

udavide%20pedersol_zpsguvnmf0n.png

IMAG1648_zps6svuzjz6.jpg

IMAG1637_zpsxwiw5xzc.jpg

IMAG1649_zpshh1bxwfq.jpg

IMAG1646_zpsxqsvicaw.jpg

IMAG1647_zpsaulgcl7z.jpg

The bottom of the hammer cup hits the bottom of the firing button about 1/4 of the way up which in time may deform the hammer cup/ firing button but I do not think it will be an issue.

I am very pleased! I am nearer to my quest to shoot 80-90 grain pellets or some form of "cleaner" burning powder, I'd prefer the pellets. Couple this with hopefull sucsess with the easy loading Federal Trophy Copper B.O.R. Loc bullets (so for 2" 100 yard group with 70 gr 2f out of my pistol) I will dribble down my leg! LOL

BTW... IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THIS IS VERY UNSAFE TO TRANSPORT WITH AN UNSPENT #209 AND CHARGED. THE DESIGN LEAVES THE HAMMER RESTING ON THE FIRING BUTTON. UNLIKE THE ORIGINAL DESIGN WHICH RESTS JUST OFF OF THE#11 CAP!

Jim

8) First thing I thought of was the safety issue an you addressed that...What about a quick second shot while hunting? I actually like an prefer the #11 cap system, never had a problem..

Are you gonna try BH 209 powder? Interesting... :yeah:

I have a T/C Firehawk, which was original made to fire #11 caps. I bought this back in 1993?, when they first came out. At some point in the late 90's, T/C came out with a 209 conversion kit. I had to have it. I installed it, and to my surprise accuracy went south when using 209 primers. I went back to #11's and have never looked back. I never really had problems with ignition with the #11's, ( Goex, and Pyrodex) so the switch to 209's really had no advantage to me. In reading over the years, sometimes 209 primers in some applications, are at a disadvantage. They some times push the load foward before it ignites, resulting in accuracy, and fouling problems. Again, depending on your particular gun, and load.

toytruck,

Quick second shots have never been an option... one shot one kill! I have been a single shot shooter all of my life. I started out as a kid with a single 410. The #11 caps are messy in the Scout to much blo-by on my scopes. I will be experimenting with many different pellets/powders and the new Federal Trophy Copper 270 grain B.O.R. Lock.

MLhunter83,

Yes, just after the fire at the factory in the '90's. They lost all of the tooling for the Scout line and it was also during the early stages of 209 inline designs and the opted with new lines instead of redesigning the Scout. That is why I recently purchased another one for spare parts which are almost impossible to find.

Landngroove,

The ignition problems with the #11 caps are an issue if you try to shoot pellets in the Scout very unreliable. It has an extremely long flame channel and I think the vented breech plug contributes to the weak spark. Interesting never thought of the "push" concept. It may cause me issues with the new Federal bullets which do not have much loading force.

BuckDoeHunter,

Me also! As I stated I will experiment to the point of Chrono graphing and milk jug testing at 50 and 100 yards.

Here’s my original. It is SSK hard chromed and Magna ported with a 2x Leupold. First trial run with the new Federal’s and 70 gr 2f Goex #11 cap gave 2" 100yd group which is in harmony with past accuracy shooting 250-300gr saboted copper solid bullets with 80-90gr 3f Goex.

IMAG1514_zpsmwy0glyv.jpg

Thanks for the input
Jim

I just like to cover all the possibilities. I will admit to shooting over a deer or three in my past. I completely missed a nice buck one evening, reloaded and had a doe appear in his place an dropped her. So it does happen to me anyway...

What material are you using for the scope protection on your handgun?

Sorry if my reply sounded off the cuff. I have missed and have had to shoot more than once. One year it took 3 shots to kill my Turkey with my 20ga Encore. I wish I had it on video it was like Benny Hill skit... just no background music! LOL

The meterial is leather from a pair of finger cots like in the pic. I removed the elastic and sewed the 2 pieces of leather together. I saturated them with SNO-SEAL. It is heald on with o-rings. It has lasted 20 years. I clean it up with Dawn dish soap and retreat it.

1079_HERO1_zpsxqhshjxs.jpg

Jim

Range report,

I shot the conversion 18 rounds with one 50 grain 777 pellet with no hangfires. I shot the Federal Bor Loc bullets. They loaded very easy! My last 10 rounds I cleaned the barrel before and did not clean again. I still felt I needed to tap the bullet home after pushing it down which may have crushed the pellet which I am unsure if that would affect accuracy or not. WHT SAY YOU? My groups were not as good as I wanted but were acceptable... 4" at 100 yards I was using my Accudot 3MOA dot which may have had something to do with it. The groups were on par with results from my 357 and 44 revolvers with it. I have installed a Simmons 4 x 32 scope to see if that helps. It may get better as I try higher charges and the Pyrodex pellets once I find some 30 grainers of them. If not the ease of loading allows me to continue hunting with My Scouts. I found 2x times that the primer will not fire if the firing button is not in place DOH!. I have a safety/hammer block Idea that I am sure will make it fail safe if the button is not installed. It will take about the same amount of time to remove the block and install the firing button as it does a #11 cap. I also shot the Hornady FPB bullets out of my origial Scout. I got a 1" 100yd group with 70 grains of 2F and a #11 CAP :D ... more to come!

Jim

Yes, I believe a crushed pellet will effect accuracy. Just snug the bullet against the powder is all that's needed. Have you tried loose triple seven powder instead of the pellets. You will find better accuracy IMO with loose powder and its much easier to "tweak" a load in 5 grain increments. Just curious did you have any crud ring with the 209's primers?

That 1" group with the #11 caps speaks volumes.... :yeah:

I am moving away from the loose stuff in this converted Scout. This Scout seems to have bore damage which I can't see because of the pinhole in the closed breech and I do not have a bore scope. My last session last 10 rounds I cleaned the bore well and shot 10 rounds without cleaning. I did notice it took more force to push the bullet home but did not seem to detect any difference in the tapping with the hammer. The FPB's load a bit tougher than I had hoped for but I like the printed results! Iam still working on the hammer block.

Jim

After pushing the bullet down with the ram rod the few taps with the hammer seemed the same as though there was no crud ring buildup.

I am new on here and came across this post. I have been looking for a 209 conversion option for my Scout 50 cal Carbine and got excited when I stumbled onto this. My concern is the loss of accuracy going from the #11 to a 209. Any updates as to how it is holding up? What changes did you have to make to the hammer for it to make good contact with the button? Have you tried any of the BlackHorn 209 loose powder in it since doing the conversion?

Thank you in advance for any feedback, I look forward to hearing back from you!

Brian

batchley1972,

Sorry no updates. I hit a road block with the velocities out of my pistol and the bullet I wanted to use. It works just fine other than no safety. I figured if need be I could always prime if a shot was ever presented

Jim

I purchased a breech plug from Track of the Wolf and a Davide Pedersoli #209 Primer Nipple Conversion Kit from Cabelas. I had a machinist friend mill off the #11 nipple and drill and tap (1/4-28 bottom tap) the breech plug so the kit was recessed to make the o.o.l. as short as possible for hammer travel and still allow the firing button to screw down tight which installs very easy after the gun is assembled and with the scope in place. I drilled the shroud out with a 0.465" drill for clearence for the button. I fired a primer off today. Normally I point the muzzle at the grass/weeds when I pop a #11 cap so I can see it is clear and it moves them around a bit. The 209 primer blew the weeds to pieces... I was happy!

scout_zpspdk0kter.png

IMAG1648_zps6svuzjz6.jpg

IMAG1637_zpsxwiw5xzc.jpg

IMAG1649_zpshh1bxwfq.jpg

IMAG1646_zpsxqsvicaw.jpg

IMAG1647_zpsaulgcl7z.jpg

The bottom of the hammer cup hits the bottom of the firing button about 1/4 of the way up which in time may deform the hammer cup/ firing button but I do not think it will be an issue.

I am very pleased! I am nearer to my quest to shoot 80-90 grain pellets or some form of "cleaner" burning powder, I'd prefer the pellets. Couple this with hopefull sucsess with the easy loading Federal Trophy Copper B.O.R. Loc bullets (so for 2" 100 yard group with 70 gr 2f out of my pistol) I will dribble down my leg! LOL

BTW... IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THIS IS VERY UNSAFE TO TRANSPORT WITH AN UNSPENT #209 AND CHARGED. THE DESIGN LEAVES THE HAMMER RESTING ON THE FIRING BUTTON. UNLIKE THE ORIGINAL DESIGN WHICH RESTS JUST OFF OF THE#11 CAP!

Jim

scout_zpspdk0kter.png

IMAG1648_zps6svuzjz6.jpg

IMAG1637_zpsxwiw5xzc.jpg

IMAG1649_zpshh1bxwfq.jpg

IMAG1646_zpsxqsvicaw.jpg

IMAG1647_zpsaulgcl7z.jpg

Jim
I bought a T/C SCOUT CARBINE back several years ago and have tried to make it better no luck so I was looking online for a conversion kit for it read ur article and tried it it works fine I love it ready to hit the woods with it thanks for ur inspiration

Awhile back I converted a Traditions Tracker 209 to cap ignition. Accuracy improved by about 30%.
My old Omega Z5 saw an improvement in accuracy when I used small pistol primers in the old VariFlame adapters.
My Black Diamond even showed improvement when I went from musket caps to #11s. Although hardly scientific, I found that the least powerful primer (consistent with full ignition) produced the best accuracy. Also the least breech fouling.

Back