Rebore a Knight?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knight had two different breech plugs, a 5/8" and an 11/16". My .54 LK-93 has the 11/16" plug and my friends .50 LK-93 has the 5/8" plug. The bolts are also different between .50 and .54 (5/8" and 11/16" again).

admiral said:
Knight had two different breech plugs, a 5/8" and an 11/16". My .54 LK-93 has the 11/16" plug and my friends .50 LK-93 has the 5/8" plug. The bolts are also different between .50 and .54 (5/8" and 11/16" again).

I honestly don't think that would matter at all. Knight had the 11/16" setup in some of its .54's, but then eventually went to 5/8" in them. I have a .54 mk-85 that is 5/8", used to have an older one that was 11/16". I think the only real thing that the OP needs to find out would be if the smith feels the barrel will be ok after enlarged. Seems to me that there is enough metal there on those rifles, but I'm not an expert. The same bp & plunger should be fine.

The other option, the LK's are relatively inexpensive and readily available it seems. I bet you could find one in vgc for $150 or less. Might cost darn near that much to have the rifle bored out, I don't know. They are all over the gun auction sites, often in .54 cal. That's probably the route I would go, then you'd have one of each :D

I'm not sure if it would matter either. I just know that on the LK-93 the set up is different between .50 & .54 cal. Years ago I had my Remington 700 ML rebored from .50 to .54 with a 1-26" twist. Remington used the same breech plug in .45, .50, & .54 so there was no problem in knowing if it would work or not. Obviously you will loose some breech plug shoulder sealing edge going up in caliber. In my White rifles the breech plug walls that bottom on the plug shoulder are only .046" thick and I doubt the Knight plug would end up that thin after a rebore.

Thank you for the responses. Knight finally got back to me and said barrel diameter is the same on both 50 and 54 and can be re-bored, no mention of the breech plug. I would swap my 50ca barrel with mounted 3x9 scope for a 54ca with open sights, but I have not found one.

Latest posts

Back