Optima V2 Pistol Target

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Got lucky today, the wife's dentist cancelled her appt. an I was somewhat caught up so decided to make the range, finally. Temps were 57 when I got there an 67 after last shot, very little wind from the North.

I shot several bullets to see what she liked...Upper Left is Speer 240gr. 44 cal./.430SWC in a Knight green sabot, Upper Right is the Hornady 240gr. PA conical/unlubed wad that LarryBud sent me. Lower Left is Hornady .452 XTP 300gr. in Harvester Crushrib, Lower Right is TC Shockwave 250gr. in supplied sabot and Center is Hunter280man's HP Spire RBT .451/250gr. in Harvester Crushrib.

I started out using 60gr of Blackhorn 209 in the upper left for three shots then went to 70gr. Blackhorn for all the rest of the shooting.

The Hornady .452 XTP 300gr. shot the best (lower left) with three shots touching and fourth shot was scope adjustment in center. All shooting was at 25 yds for first target(left).

I went out to 50yds with the .452 XTP's 300gr. and got this three shot group, second target (right). This handgun will shoot for a 14 inch barrel!! Might have to try her out on a Whitetail this fall.

nice shooting....XTP's are a very good bullet..cheap and accurate and deadly at the working velocities...using your hand cannon at them loads will be a great deer handgun...have seen posts on forums where people have taken deer with them out to 70 yards....I use XTP's as range bullets ...and i have hunted with them ..but for 23.00 a box you can have lots of fun shooting ...you should spend a day or 2 hunting with it...or more...lol... and bag your hand cannon deer...

Al

Heads up...Midway USA has the 300gr/ 452 XTP's on clearance $15.25/box of 50. That's $6 less than I paid for the box I now have...so, eight more are on the way!! 8) I killed a small deer several years ago with these XTP's in the Encore, he didn't make it out of sight.

That is very good shooting. It is fun to hunt with a handgun. And that single shot smoke machine would really make it interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the XTPs.

Great shooting, Steve.

These pistols will shoot, and will shoot outstanding with the loads they prefer. I've only shot a few different loads in mine, because when I shot the 200 gr Shockwaves with 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, the results were 3 shots into one ragged hole @ 50 yards. One of these days I'll be trying some new 250 grain MonoFLEX bullets through it. I don't know how anything could shoot better than it's current load though?

Busta said:
Great shooting, Steve.

These pistols will shoot, and will shoot outstanding with the loads they prefer. I've only shot a few different loads in mine, because when I shot the 200 gr Shockwaves with 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, the results were 3 shots into one ragged hole @ 50 yards. One of these days I'll be trying some new 250 grain MonoFLEX bullets through it. I don't know how anything could shoot better than it's current load though?
Thanks!! This pistol is super accurate!! That 70gr. load of Blackhorn was pretty strong, felt about like my .44mag Ruger, not sure I want to go up to 80gr. but want to try her out at 100yds next time before hunting seasons this fall. Hopefully the XTP's an 70gr. will be the ticket.

Nice setup you got there. :) Looks to be a tack driver, it will be a blast to take deer hunting.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Great set up and some outstanding shooting :!: :!: :!: DEER BEWARE :!: :!: :!: Good Hunting............

Ray......... :yeah:

Back