.36 fast twist coming together

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive had several hiccups with this inline plunger build. Theres virtually no information to be had that I can find in this Allen plunger action, So in typical me style, Im just learning everything the hard way. The first few range days were pretty frustrating, But, I enjoy a challenge, and I stuck with it determined to make or break it, and now, after roughly 150 shots, things are starting to settle in and come together. there is a bit of very fine tuning, and I think a break in period for the action to smooth out and settle. first 1-2 days was a lot of misfires, tuning and testing. shooting a load of (3f Schutzen) 30 grn and a hornady .311 85 grn in an mmp sabot, I was getting ~1490 fps at the muzzle (magneto speed chrono) and couldnt do much better than ~3-4" at 100 yard. Yesterday, I had some time, so I took it out again, and things are finally starting to tighten up for me. and Im on the path at least to getting a load right. this is a typical spread with that load
DSC00490_zpsqbtriqh3.jpg

I figured such a fast twist (1-14) A longer bullet would help, so next was a 100 grn XTP, same load (no chrono this time, I just wanted to shoot a few loads and see what it wanted for improvement) a little better.
DSC00491_zpsb7bkkoqu.jpg

this is with about a 15 mph breeze. I thought I would try a different load, and almost went hotter, but that little voice told me try lighter, and ended up right. 20 grns and a xtp 100 grn gave me a great improvement.
DSC00492_zpsy1ps4rva.jpg

first 2 photos are 8" targets, Last is 6" Im pretty happy with how its coming so far, 100 yards is pretty far for a typical .36 But I have some high hopes for this one. I was even busting clays pretty consistently on the 100 yard range berm, so, ~120 yard shot. Seems about a 2" drop from 50-100 yards. this was also with no real rest, just my fist between a plano hardcase on the bench and the forearm. floating rear

Next I want to try some sabotless knurled, or possibly paper patched .357. I have some 160 grn I will try next. I plan on turning a delrin rod to make a kind of false muzzle starter tube. no real false muzzle, just an alignment tube for a sort of slap starter and size right in the muzzle at loading. The bore is just about .363 land to land. Im debating on weather or not a 9.3mm 280 grn is just too much for a .36. Thats a big jump, but the 9.3 was about the only thing i could find at heavier than ~150 grn and in the size range. even the 100 grn is pretty heavy for a typical .36.. Guess ill start slow, and see.

Looking good Squeeze! It looks like it is starting to come together for you. :yeah:

IIRC Doc Whites 38cal "Varminter" was either a 1-14 or 1-16. His website still is not back up. I do remember he shot some pretty good sized lead in it.

another good thing was it seemed to me, the barrel never heated up at all. I was shooting, then 1 wet swab and 1-2 dry. seems I could load and shoot this load all day about as fast as i could swab a bit and reload. I never detected any heat above ambient air temp at all on the barrel. temp was prob just under 70.

GM, thats pretty reassuring about the white .38. Think Ill order some 9.3 privi partizan from Graf & sons and move forward

Mountain molds offers a 9.3 and the ability to size the mold to your needs including weight and each band size.

http://www.mountainmolds.com/

Use the "online bullet designer"

IIRC ......but i could be wrong, Doc used bullets from about 240gr-320gr or 330gr in his. You may also try emailing Dan at BullShop.

Never heard of that White varminter till now. I had to do a search on it. Apparently it dominated the nationals so much so there was an outcry to establish new caliber criteria. :D I miss the doc website though. Hope it comes back online sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back