Federal 50 Caliber Muzzleloader Bullet Revisited

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been very difficult for me to shoot at 200 yard, since the logging operation reworked the road into where i liked to shoot. This morning we received near 1" of rain at the house. This afternoon it looked like it was going to let up, so i loaded some vials with 130g of Blackhorn, and headed for the hills. There was no way any one would drive in on that road as muddy as it was; the loggers for sure would be at the bar. So, i set up some jugs, and shot at them. The distance from the rifle to the jugs ended up being 205 yard. The first three jugs cost me 99 cents each, and even came filled with water. The last jug cost me about $225, and i had to fill it with water all by myself. Because the rain never quit, the shooting was not recorded; didn't want to ruin the camera.

IMG_0336.JPG

The first shot somehow just so barely skun the left side of the second, and third jug, emptying them. How it missed the front jug, i don't know. Had to drive, slip, and slide up the road, and set the remaining two jugs up again. The windage on the scope was turned right 3 clicks. After slipping and swerving backwards down the road to the bench, the rifle was loaded once again. This next shot destroyed the front jug, blew a huge entrance hole in the expensive jug, and the bullet bounced off the back side, leaving a dent, but remaining inside the expensive jug.

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

The next photo kinda shows the weather on the trip home; the rain never quit.

IMG_0354.JPG

At home the bullet shot today pushed by 130g of Blackhorn, and captured at 205 yard is pictured to the right of the bullet shot months ago. I believe the bullet on the left was captured at 12 yards, and was clocked at 1335 fps. Seems like it was pushed by 65g of Blackhorn.

IMG_0356.JPG

That's a lot of powder Ron. Do many use that much? Bullet looks fine at those speeds.

Since i'm using open sights now I definitely won't be taking long shots. I feel 90-95gr at my distances will work fine, and I may use it for a muzzy elk hunt in 2016. Maybe this year for black bear during muzzy season too. It's an OTC tag I can get easily. I'll use 100gr for bear.

Thanks for all the testing.

Pete,

Right now i am formulating a plan for this season. What i think i will do is use this bullet. Here we can use non magnified optic. My rifle will have a 1X scope mounted. The powder charge will be... maybe... 105g Blackhorn. This will provide me a load that should be a killer out to about 150 yard. With a 1X scope that is just about maximum range for me. Now, all that is necessary is tags, perseverance, and good luck.

1874sharpsshooter said:
My knights prefer 130 gr so the Federal might be ok after all . Time will tell . I just wish the 230 gr lehigh was available and was legal for the .45

It is coming quicker than you think...

Thanks for the reports, Ron. I just received 2 packages of these today along with some Bloodlines to try. These load in my TC Impact with no problem, so we will see how they shoot.

I bought a test pack of the Bloodlines plus a box of the 250s, as they are .451 vs .458 diameter. Only the 250s fit in in my Impact, so we will see how those do as well.

ronlaughlin said:
No, i haven't contacted Federal. It occurs to me that this may not be a good bullet to use in your hand gun A muzzle velocity around 1200 fps may not be enough. Have you considered something like a 250g XTP, or some such?

Over the years I have shot most everything available. The reason for these is the ease of loading. I have developed issues with my neck and it causes lack of strenght, numbness, tingling and dexterity issues in my hands and arms. This is the also the reason I have gone to pellets... less to fumble with. Another reason is I have for many years been heading away from lead. I have shot the Remington 289gr copper solids and switched to Barnes 300 graners when they Rem's became unavaialable in my original Scout. I shoot non lead in my Tommy Knocker 20" 20 ga for Turkey. I shoot Remington copper slugs in my 28" fully rifled 20 ga barrel. When I was shooting my 12ga 870 I also shot the Reminton coppers. I am hopping I can burn 90 grains of T7 pellets efficently and maybe push these near 1300fps. If I can and I get decent jug tests for expansion out to 50-75 yards it will allow me to hunt with my Scouts a few more years. I am also working with the Hornady FPB's but they do have lead and load a bit hard but I have learned of an idea to size them down which makes them load easier.

I am unsure if you have seen this but this is what I am doing with my Scouts. My hope is that with the 209 primer being a bit hotter than a #11 cap and the T7 which I beleive is a bit faster/hotter buring than Goex 3f I can achieve my goals. Time will tell.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26856

Jim

Latest posts

Back