Two new Lehigh Prototypes Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Got an email from Lehigh Dave today... He got a wild hair and ran a couple of NEW bullets yesterday in his plant. I wish I knew more about CNC lathes - but he set up a program to run two different bullets plugged it in to the CNC and when he came back he had two prototypes for testing,

1. A new .452x245 gr. Controlled Fracturing bullet for muzzleloaders with the sabot of your choice to fit your rifle.
2. A .500x260 gr. Sabotless bullet. It should possible fit the newer tighter bore CVA-Knight-TC. It will probably be to loose in the White 504's or the older Knight rifles.

Benefits of this bullet is that it should open at lower velocities when it contacts a liquid environment. So shooting extended ranges or even reduced powder loads should allow the bullet to open and break off the petals.

The real problem with the sabotless bullets is that there really is not a spec for a 50 cal, barrel that manufactures have to follow, In fact as we are finding out on this forum the barrels can vary in diameter up and down the bore and still pass and qualify as an excellent ML bore. Sabots cover up a lot of the different size bores on the market. So making a universal sabotless becomes somewhat difficult.

I am hoping to get a few of each for testing.

WV Hunter said:
Cool. I bet that .50 would work well in my .54 MK with a purple sabot :yeah:

Any word on the 230?

SHOOT!!! You know I never thought about that - but I bet it would/could too!

Yes - Dave indicated that he was going to run the 40x185 and the 40x230 CF next so they should be showing up for testing soon.

WV Hunter said:
Run as in... might be available to purchase?
Is that the same 230 that you tested previously that did so well in fast twist?

Well these bullets are not built the same as the Bloodlines, and in that they need to be tested for accuracy and terminal performance before they go on the market. Knowing Dave he would be really picky about it being right before he would sell it. Lehigh Dave feels that this new design is superior to the old but it will not really be know for sure until it is shot and tested for performance.

The 40x230 is a long bullet and needs the fast to achieve stabilization and theoretically this bullet should do everything thing the original 230 did.

WV Hunter said:
Cool. I bet that .50 would work well in my .54 MK with a purple sabot :yeah:

Any word on the 230?
That is exactly what I was thinking. 8) It would be wicked on deer! I would love to see what the diameter would be.
My 50cal KRB7 has a little tighter bore than my MK-95 50's.

I love the idea of the sabotless, I would like to have DAVE revisit the .400 X 200 gr. sabotless also. They will go down the CVA .45 MAG HUNTER and my CVA APEX 45-70 slufoot conversion, but will not go down my Knights. :huh?:

Definitely interested in the .500 x 260 sounds like it may work in my Scout pistol. I did try the Hornady FPB's and they were tighter than I wanted. The accuracy was good!

Jim

Back