First Shot Flyer - This may work.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been searching in vain for a solution to the first shot flyer. I know some have no issue with this, however, I have a significant issue with multiple rifles and various powders. It is more pronounced with my powder of choice, BH 209.

Just last week while shooting the Super Disc. I noticed it one again.

The only solution to date for me is to shoot my gun to foul the bore prior to hunting. While sometimes possible, I do live a city life and my neighbors get nervous when I fire a squib shot in the back yard. Also, I dislike leaving my gun fouled for prolonged periods.

I was reading somewhere about CF Match Shooters using liquid graphite to mimic a fouled barrel. I was at the hardware store and it was going to cost me $3 to prove or disprove the theory.

Same gun and round as last week. At home, I swabbed with a wet patch, a dry patch and then a patch of liquid graphite. When I got to the range, I fired two primers and loaded. Shot 1 was right there in the group. I did pull #4 when the guy in the next booth shot a cannon just as I pulled the trigger. That miss was on me. The other 4 piled right in.

This needs more testing but the first try was very encouraging.

Looks like you may have found the solution . That is really good shooting . You gotta love them old 1:20 Discs . They are hard to beat once you get the right load worked up . Now you just need to get it ready to use on a speed goat . Antelope was the reason i originally got hooked on the 1:20 . Congrats on a good range session

In the alternative you could see how the first clean shot prints. If that is consistent then you can shoot your game that way. The first shot is usually the best shot and for most perhaps the only shot. If you shoot multiple shots that is a different story or will have to shoot a fouler to be consistent.

I use Lock-Ease as well, sometimes l swab the barrel with lip 2000 after loading prior to hunting season. I might go 5-6 weeks without shooting so I'm not leaving a fouled barrel sit that long.

jims said:
In the alternative you could see how the first clean shot prints. If that is consistent then you can shoot your game that way. The first shot is usually the best shot and for most perhaps the only shot. If you shoot multiple shots that is a different story or will have to shoot a fouler to be consistent.

Agreed but then if you take one shot, you now have a different POI. It would nice not to have the changes.

I would rarely shoot more thank once a single deer but we do have multiple tags.

Great shooting LarryBud! :yeah:

I had my first experience with a first shot flyer and BH209 today. It was a couple inches out of the group.
This would be a great fix if its repeatable. I'm gonna pick some up to try the next time I get to shoot. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

LarryBud said:
halloflin said:
Just curious...Would the aerosol Lock-Ease work as well?

I suppose you could spray it on the patch. This little bottle is pretty easy to use.

I look forward to testing in other guns.

Exactly . . .

Good shooting. Hope this works out as a fix for the flyers. Looking forward to the next report.

Picked the same bottle in your picture today at Ace Hardware for $2.99. Can't wait to test it. Anyone that gives this a try please post results.

halloflin said:
Picked the same bottle in your picture today at Ace Hardware for $2.99. Can't wait to test it. Anyone that gives this a try please post results.

Awesome. I would love more test rifles.

I applied it to a clean bore and fired a couple of primers. The same techniques without the graphite results in a one shot flyer for all my guns except the old Omega Z5.

Whwn they have rifle comps at my club..I see the guys use a liquid moly before shooting..and I asked the guy about it..he said it helps stop the flyer first shot on a clean bore...said a can of it about 7.99 and will last a life time...so must work the same as the graphite patching

Using their search box at auto part stores like Advance Auto, PepBoys, O'Reilly's, Napa and CarQuest, I got no hits for liquid moly. Where can I jump in my truck and buy it? I did find a Liqui Moly brand name for various weights of motor oil.

Latest posts

Back