Another sabotless Test (Oregon-Colorado)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I was suppose to work a 1/2 day today but the morning was so nice -I voted I not work and go do some more shooting!

What I wanted to do today was to collect velocities and see which of the two bullets fit the Mountaineer the best. So I packed up and headed to the farm. Got setup and placed the chrono about 10' off the muzzle. For some reason I spend way to much time worrying about shooting the chrono than I hitting the target. Now that I am back here I also should have moved the chrono to the target and got some 50 yard velocities... darn me!

Anyway here is the information I was seeking...

I had decided that I was going to load the .502's which seem to fit the greater portion of the newer Knight 50 cal bores than the 5015 might. It was a great match for that bore. I could insert it in the bore and push it down through the crown with the heal of my hand. Those of you that use a short starter it will be a easy to insert it. Even in my tighter Ultra-Lite bore using the .502 and a short starter makes short work of loading. In the tight bores you will be happier if you have some sort of palm saver for your ram-rod.

Another thing I wanted to prove to myself was that the bullet was sealing the gases behind the bullet. So the first three shots were taken seating the bullet on top of 120 grains of T7-2f. They were then shot across the chrono. Then I loaded the same load but used a MMP sub-base. No real difference in velocity but I think the sub-base may have effected the flight of the bullet by sticking in the powder cup of the bullet. Anyway they did not seem as accurate as you can see. Next I loaded the .5015 bullets in the rifle. They were fairly loose easy to load easy to get down but I felt there was enough pressure that they would not come off the powder. The bullet did seem to contain the gas as the velocity remained relatively the same but they were a bit lower on the target.

This is my Mountaineer and yes I like thumbhole stocks

Here is the target with velocities - do not get to critical of the groups - I worry much more about the chronograph than I do - how tight the group is... I know 'cop out'

These are some additional pictures of the shoot activities...

That looks very promising. Odd that it looks like the sub base slowed it down a tad. :huh?: Overall velocity was pretty consistant either way too.

Nice looking rifle to boot.

What is the chances that these will be available for purchase sometime soon?
They look great!
I would buy some.
I would also probably try/use a felt wad between powder and bullet.

ShawnT said:
That looks very promising. Odd that it looks like the sub base slowed it down a tad. :huh?: Overall velocity was pretty consistant either way too.

Nice looking rifle to boot.

I guess I was thinking the added weight of the sub-base was the reason - no other good explanation from me.

shguns said:
They look great!
I would buy some.

I should know more about that soon! I think Dave is kinda waiting for a few more shooting reports from other shooters that may have gotten a sample pack.

Has anyone run tests with ballistic jell yet? It would be very interesting to have a comparison to the original.

ronlaughlin said:
Wow, that was an interesting 17 minute.

Ya Ron, I forgot to say it was a really long video. Those guys had never really shot the Lehigh CF before and I think it took them be a bit of surprise. Even the new XP showed a lot of promise.

The XP seems to create a lot of 'shock', and appears it would make a good hunting bullet. However, i believe we cannot use it here, because it isn't a 'soft point'.

ronlaughlin said:
The XP seems to create a lot of 'shock', and appears it would make a good hunting bullet. However, i believe we cannot use it here, because it isn't a 'soft point'.

That is the case in several states - but not all...

shguns said:
They look great!
I would buy some.

I think Dave is going to have the .502x260 ready next week. He ran a decent size batch of them so he has the stock. I also think he is going to set up a sample pack of 4 bullets that you can purchase.

For right now it seems that the .502 will fit many of the later model Knight rifles and even some of the very early ones. The sample pack will be an easy way to find out especially for those people that are using CVA and TC's

I am in! Please let us know. I would buy a 4 pak in a heart beat!

air_rn said:
I am in! Please let us know. I would buy a 4 pak in a heart beat!

As soon as they show up on the web page I will let you know... If/when you get them let me know what rifle you shot them in and how they loaded - please.

Any data on the low end velocity for good expansion? I am looking for an easy to load sabotless bullet that will work in my 209 converted T/C Scout pistol shooting pellets.

Jim

jem44357 said:
Any data on the low end velocity for good expansion? I am looking for an easy to load sabotless bullet that will work in my 209 converted T/C Scout pistol shooting pellets.

Jim

Jim, I have not tried the low end as of yet. But that was one of the reasons for 'broaching' the petals of the bullet. With this design the 'mathematical' expansion velocity is 800 fps.

This is some information about the new design

And one of the improvements is the petals shear at lower velocities. Making this bullets a better attraction people that want to shoot lighter loads with less recoil. Another key point is the petals are larger in the new design. They can carry more energy in the fluid environment of the chest cavity creating more shock/trauma and damage on game. And also the new bullet is a 4 petal design instead of 6 like the Bloodlines. Lehigh is always looking to improve on all types of bullets and loaded ammunition.

I/we have found in the past that the number Lehigh uses for a working FPS velocity has been very conservative so I would hazard a GUESS the 'fracturing velocity' is less than 800 fps

What is the bearing surface measurement? The only 50cal barrel i have left is .500 land to land.

GM54-120 said:
What is the bearing surface measurement? The only 50cal barrel i have left is .500 land to land.

I am thinking off the top of my head - that is to tight for a .502. My Ulite is .501 - it will load a .502 with the use of a short starter but it is tight.

Latest posts

Back