Please Help me choose between these two rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJFlores

Reaction score
I really can't decide...and have been hemin and hawin for over a year! LHR Redemption vs Traditions Vortec striker. I like both, the LHR is heavy and I've "heard" people talk about some quality issues. Great trigger and external threads on the breechplug is nice. The Traditions is lighter, more slim, with I guess as good a trigger. They've been at it longer. Hoping to hear from some who were where I am now or if they've already bought one of the two models. HELP! :lol:

MJFlores said:
I really can't decide...and have been hemin and hawin for over a year! LHR Redemption vs Traditions Vortec striker. I like both, the LHR is heavy and I've "heard" people talk about some quality issues. Great trigger and external threads on the breechplug is nice. The Traditions is lighter, more slim, with I guess as good a trigger. They've been at it longer. Hoping to hear from some who were where I am now or if they've already bought one of the two models. HELP! :lol:

OK I am going to try to be really diplomatic about this question because I know you really want correct information. So first let me say that I do not own and have owned either of these two rifles. Like you have probably I have read information about the two.

But in all honesty there are such better rifles on the market than either of these I would really suggest you expand the field and look at some other additional manufactures.

You sound like my wife! This or this one?? Then I say, "they both look great on you!"

Your money, get the one you like. I wouldn't get either one. I'd rather get a Knight or a NULA or a White or lurk about the used gun deals and get a TC Black Diamond or System One or a Knight in good condition. Guess that isn't much help. JMHO - W

Personally, I wouldn't buy either myself but, I'm not buying.

If I were looking for a production rifle now days, it would be a Knight. Especially since they're coming out with that new .45 :wink:

There are some top notch custom builds available, they just cost a lot more, but they're worth it.
http://ultimatefirearms.com/

MJFlores said:
Check out this thread

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26934

I would pick the Redemption over Traditions

What type of hunting are you going to use gun for ? And realistic distance of shots ?
Price range?
Any weight restrictions?

Without knowing the answers to Bestill's questions, its hard to recommend what might be a good fit.

Personally, I have not owned either so I don't have experience with them. However, I would agree with the others...there are plenty of other brands/models that imo should be looked at as well. My personal preference is Knight, I would give them a serious look as well.
I know if I was buying a NEW ml today, it would be a Knight Ultralite.

Another option is to find a like new (but used) rifle. You can cut your cost in half and still have an excellent weapon. There are usually some great guns that come for sale now and then in the classifieds section.

WV Hunter said:
Another option is to find a like new (but used) rifle. You can cut your cost in half and still have an excellent weapon. There are usually some great guns that come for sale now and then in the classifieds section.
And some that dont make it in the classifieds , you just have to know who to ask :)

MJFlores said:

You never stated why it's so important to purchase a Striker-Fire. Well if we can't talk you out of it, then the LHR gets my vote.
Threadless breech plug
Armornite or Cerakote barrel
Green Mountain Cloverleaf barrel
FT2 Match Trigger

........ well, that's enough to convince me. Then there's another Convincer I must mention......

In my opinion, the worst ML service and parts department on earth belongs to Traditions. If you need warranty work, they will make you work hard for it most times.

Just curious! Why are you so dead-set against a typical Break-Action ML? What did one ever do to you, to omit that design from your discussion here?

Both have issues i dont like.

Traditions uses an alloy frame with no steel bushing around the firing pin. The frame wears against the 209 primer every time you close the action and there is no way to easily remove the pin for cleaning. If i was looking at Spanish imports, it would be a 2010 or newer CVA.

The Redemption has one critical flaw i cant live with. Poor scope mounting options. The breach plug collar increases the length of eye relief needed. All the pics i see show the rings very close or touching the scope turret housing. Thats a good way to damage a scope. You are left with one good solution...A 5" eye relief scope like the old Nikon Omega or Bushnell DOA.

The scope over hangs that collar and leaves little room for your fingers.

Im sorry but this is a terrible way to mount a scope and a base that extends back would make removing the breach plug a royal PITA.
Redemptioncloseup1.jpg

Sportsman guide has the Knight Disc Elite thumbhole for $329 and if your a member under $300 that is what I would be looking at. The LHR to me is not a petty gun and the ones I have held feel heavy and unbalanced in my hand. I dont know anyone that shoots a LHR I do know a few that have the traditions and they like it but if I was the one spending that money I would not get either.

gizmodawg said:
Sportsman guide has the Knight Disc Elite thumbhole for $329 and if your a member under $300 that is what I would be looking at. The LHR to me is not a petty gun and the ones I have held feel heavy and unbalanced in my hand. I dont know anyone that shoots a LHR I do know a few that have the traditions and they like it but if I was the one spending that money I would not get either.

Remember you already suggested it... A Knight would be a great rifle - the ones that SG have are blued and are probably FPJ ignition. If you would switch that ignition system to a NFPJ - bare primer you would have a gun that stays fairly clean in the breech area. The only down side that a lot of folks complain about is it is not a tool free breech plug - but a ratchet and socket make easy work of it.

The thumbhole drops the overall weight of the rifle a good deal also - which is really nice.

This is a couple of mine

Thanks, this gives me things to think about. Never even thought about Knight...I'll go check them out. I really like the thought of a break action gun that's striker fired. My current gun that I've been using for about 18 years I'm guessing is an old TC Black Diamond. Very accurate gun that I've killed quite a few nice deer with but....the trigger is just HORRIBLE, and what a pain in the neck to clean! Anyway, keep the opinions and advice coming and I'll see what Knight has these days. I did hold a Traditions striker fired today, and it just felt great. The LHR feel clunky, and I dont like the scope mounting or plastic trigger guard.

MJFlores said:
Thanks, this gives me things to think about. Never even thought about Knight...I'll go check them out. I really like the thought of a break action gun that's striker fired. My current gun that I've been using for about 18 years I'm guessing is an old TC Black Diamond. Very accurate gun that I've killed quite a few nice deer with but....the trigger is just HORRIBLE, and what a pain in the neck to clean! Anyway, keep the opinions and advice coming and I'll see what Knight has these days. I did hold a Traditions striker fired today, and it just felt great. The LHR feel clunky, and I dont like the scope mounting or plastic trigger guard.
You might like either the Knight Vision or the Pedersoli denali . Both better than Traditions .

I vote knight but imo if you want a break action i would highly recommend a cva apex muzzleloader yes its ffl but steel action and adjustable trigger and has a excellent hinge pin.

There are a lot of good informative responses on here & some, well.......not so much. I have owned an LHR & it was a fine rifle, built very well, had no hinge pin looseness & it felt really good.
My biggest negative was the scope mounting. I went with a Vortex Crossfire 2 4-12x50 & a high DNZ mount. That worked really well honestly & it gave me room to work the release. However, just the idea that they made such a poor choice in that design of the gun, it just irritates me. My other issue is that LHR has been sold & as of now I don't know who bought them.

As for the Traditions, I would avoid any model as their customer service is HORRIBLE!

Some very good alternate choices are
CVA APEX, Accura V2, Accura MR

I know there are CVA haters on here & that's ok. CVA builds a high quality gun & they don't break the bank with their prices.

Knight also builds a good gun, but I've had issues with their customer service as well. They are terribly understaffed & it's near impossible to get to someone knowledgeable on the phone. In my experience, if you have a problem they are quite hesitant to step right up & get it taken care of for you. They never came out & said it but I personally got the impression that their attitude is that they don't have problems with their guns.

CVA can also have customer issues but if you buy through Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop, you'll never have to worry.

One other thing to consider. My less expensive CVA Apex (switch barrel Rifle) shot a 3/4" group at 200 yards with 110gr BH209 & a Knight Bloodline 220gr bullet. NO Knight will shoot any better.

So at the this point, you have lots of suggestions. I would suggest you go to some other shops & get some different guns in your hand & see what fits you the best.

Hope this helps, Greg

If you really want a break action "tip-up" rifle, I would choose ANY current (as in new) CVA over either of those two rifles. Even the lowly Wolf Model.

And I really mean that!

Of course there is a lot of NIB, used, and other manufacturers guns that should also be considered as well.

Latest posts

Back