Hit the range burned some powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmodawg

Reaction score
It is a beautiful day here no humidity, no wind, comfortable temps a perfect day to hit the range early in the morning. I met a buddy of mine at our gun club at 8am he brought a few of his rifles and I brought the 2 Knights and a Remington 1911 I just got. First up the DISC extreme 45 I have been hunting with a 45 for well over 15 years using the Gonic I have. In the Gonic I would shoot lead bullets normally Gonic 405gr solids and they would flat out knock the stuffing out of deer but my stash of then ran out a while back. I did have some 150 Gr XTP and sabots that I never got around to shooting so I gave them a try. This gun likes to be shot dirty after the bore is fouled it would stuff everything in to one large ragged hole but that first shot was 4 inches low left every time. I like this gun a whole lot It is wearing a leupold 3x9 VX2 now and is a pleasure to shoot. My load this day was 150Gr XTP over 100 grs T7 and Remington muzzleloading primers.

The second gun is the DE 50 the stock is completely different on this gun it has a lot of drop at he heel and makes you raise your head up to use the scope. Not comfortable off the bench and will be getting changed soon to one of the newer stocks. For the 50 I have a stash of orange MMP sabots that I was using to load Barnes TSX .458 300GR bullets it is a 45/70 bullet and they fly great out of my CVA MR. I also had 300Gr Scorpion PT Golds with both smooth and crushed rib black sabots. The Black smooth sabots were hard to load the crushed rib slightly easier the Orange MMP loaded easiest and were the most accurate of the bunch. This gun has a Leupold 3x9 Compact on it nice clear scope but I prefer the VX2 and it will likely be changed to one or possibly a SABR.

Both guns with the appropriate load combo are tack drivers, easy to clean and have a solid feel about them. The DE 45 feels like one of my hunting rifles I need to get used to the bolt and not try to pull it back to chamber another round. The DE 50 needs a new stock to be comfortable.

Muzzle Loading season is not till late Oct so I have plenty of shooting time to get better acquainted with these guns :D

sounds like a great day. Of course any day on the range is a great day. I pulled out a couple of my rifles and punched holes in paper. But no real big deal anymore. Just a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Back