Barnes TEZ--Jug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning, the Barnes 250g TEZ was shot into them water jugs. As before the powder charge was 50g Blackhorn, the primer was W209, and the range was 25 yard.

bar1.jpg

The VIDEO

bar2.jpg

The bullet came out the left side of the second jug, and never was found. Bein's how there were 3 unscathed jugs left, another try at capturing the bullet was made.

bar3.jpg

The VIDEO

bar4.jpg

The bullet stayed straight, bounced off the third jug, but left a small hole. The jug retained most of it's water.

IMG_0376.JPG

Somehow the bullet landed in a kinda bare spot, 5 feet off to the right, so it was found rather quickly.

IMG_0389.JPG

That is my favorite bullet at the moment. I shoot them sabotless out of my custom .45s.

thats a nice flower...by far the barnes and the Hornady mono are the best bullets I have seen...with a flower like that you have a great cutting bullet and also some good hydrolic pressure to open the wound cavity more and cause shock to the vitals...and the size of the expanded bullet looks devistating ..I have shot both the barnes and Hornady mono and they fly like great...like a laser...I plan on using the Barnes or Mono's this year to hunt..

Great work Ron. Thanks for posting. I shoot the Barnes TEZ's and or the Hornady Mono's when I'm not shooting my .58 cal hawken.

Ray............. :yeah:

LarryBud said:
Could you compare the performance of the Lehigh and the Barnes?

Looks like very similar test parameters.

It would be like comparing a soft point to a FMJ. Yeah you can shoot each bullet into water jugs, but the Lehigh is going to fracture the petels quickly and the solid core will continue at its original diameter. The Barnes on the other hand, will open and remain intact, expanding close to double its size, which will create more resistance/drag.

ENCORE50A,
All you said is true. Bit there is an other way to look at it; all information can be helpful depending on the situation.
For instants A person that is hunting public ground and loads to the max might chose a Barns , but if I was starting a lady or a youngster I would use a Lehigh, the extra penetration could make the difference even on deer especially with a light load and a beginner. :think:

Lee 9 said:
ENCORE50A,
All you said is true. Bit there is an other way to look at it; all information can be helpful depending on the situation.
For instants A person that is hunting public ground and loads to the max might chose a Barns , but if I was starting a lady or a youngster I would use a Lehigh, the extra penetration could make the difference even on deer especially with a light load and a beginner. :think:

Barnes makes a bullet for that too. :wink: The Spitzfire MZ. I agree that there are different situations, but many adults are starting youngsters with 50grs volume of BH, keeping shots to 75yds or less. If I remember correctly (which may not be the case), didn't the Lehigh require considerable velocity to work properly? Something like 1,200fps or so?
Then there's the lighter weight bullets (example: XTP) to start the youngsters or ladies out with, which will reduce their felt recoil. Then of course, someone needs to teach them proper form so recoil doesn't turn them off shooting.
Each bullet can have its place. I appreciate the testing and videos being done.

The 185 grain Dead Center or Polymer Tip is the perfect starting point for a youngster. 60 grains of BH209 added and Lee's youngster won't mind squeezing the trigger. No issues with (1200) minimum requirements on bullet speed either.

Latest posts

Back