Tell me about Knight breech plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmodawg

Reaction score
I tried a search but the words were to common

So what are the advantages or disadvantages to the different plugs. In the box of gear I got there are, Power Stems, standard plugs that take the red jacket along with 500+ red jackets and one domed bare 209 plug with the adapter for the bolt. I have a feeling that the domed one is going to kind its way into the Disc 45. The power stem in interesting in that it ignites the powder more towards the front of the charge instead of the rear but does it really work well?

Using red jackets I had very little blow bye on either gun which was a pleasure compared to my CVA MR.

So what would you be using and why?

I'd say the vast majority of hunters that own Knights use the Red plastic jackets... many probably don't even know there is a bare primer option.
On the boards by people more involved, and/or people that target shoot alot... it seems most prefer a bare primer, and many have good luck with little to no blowback with them. If you are experiencing very little blowback using the RPJ plug, that is awesome. You can certainly use them. I think in theory, the RPJ plug provides total waterproof seal, where the bare primer wouldn't. Not sure it really matters alot to the avg shooter/hunter. I've never used a powerstem plug, so can't comment on that.

gizmodawg said:
Using red jackets I had very little blow bye on either gun which was a pleasure compared to my CVA MR.

I use the red jacket, but would not, had I been a constant range-target participant, like some members here. Cost per shot is a factor.

I keep the red jacket because I live the humid Midwest / Great Lakes. I suppose if I lived in drier parts of the USA, I would switch to the bare primer. The factory Knight plugs should be wearing the slightly longer Winchester 209 primer with Blackhorn powder. They allow much eaiser removal than CCI-M or Federal 209A, which when fired, both stick to my factory plug.

TripleSe7en said:
gizmodawg said:

I use the red jacket, but would not, had I been a constant range-target participant, like some members here. Cost per shot is a factor.

I keep the red jacket because I live the humid Midwest / Great Lakes. I suppose if I lived in drier parts of the USA, I would switch to the bare primer. The factory Knight plugs should be wearing the slightly longer Winchester 209 primer with Blackhorn powder. They allow much easier removal than CCI-M or Federal 209A, which when fired, both stick to my factory plug. I use small Harbor Fright tweezers to remove the spent red jacket and primer and that amounts to another 'must carry' item in my possibles bag.

TripleSe7en said:
TripleSe7en said:
gizmodawg said:

I keep the red jacket because I live the humid Midwest / Great Lakes. I suppose if I lived in drier parts of the USA, I would switch to the bare primer. The factory Knight plugs should be wearing the slightly longer Winchester 209 primer with Blackhorn powder. They allow much easier removal than CCI-M or Federal 209A, which when fired, both stick to my factory plug. I use small Harbor Fright tweezers to remove the spent red jacket and primer and that amounts to another 'must carry' item in my possibles bag.

I hunt in all weather types in the Northeast and have had a few miss fires at unfortunate times so I like that it is a more water proof system. As for red jacket removal all I was doing was rolling the action to the side and they fell right our no need to pull them like I would do with primers in the MR.

Im trying to understand a properly sealed bare primer system doesn't leak when fired so how would moisture cause a misfire on breech end of gun?

While hunting in the rain I have experienced failure to fire on both the Gonic using #11 caps and the CVA MR using 209 primers. I dont care what the weather is if it is a day I can hunt I am out in it.

Nothing wrong with the red plastic primer holders. My buddy still uses them, even after I gave him a Lehigh NPJ breech plug with the removable vent liner.

In many cases I think the Bare primer plug 'may' have less blowback, cleaner. I always have instant ignition with my Lehigh plug. The flash hole is clear, clean, and dry. The ignition with a red primer disc should be the same, when properly cared for.

Face it, we do all this testing and practice for a few well placed shots during the season. Yeah, I'll take that coyote too. I often do better than friends with semi-auto or bolt slug guns. It's that 1st shot at an unalarmed deer that's key.

Back