Boyds stock for Omega(Updated 8-4)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody tried one yet? How is the fit?

Re: Boyds stock for Omega

Never tried one. I bet coyote brown one would look good on an Omega though. Just a thought.

Not sure about their Omega stocks, but one thing to be aware of is I think you have to supply your own ramrod retention spring. Not such a big deal, just something to be aware of. You can either take the one out of the Omega stock you have or if you want to keep a complete spare stock, Eabco sells them with screws for I think $10 or something like that. At least that's how it was on my Encore stock.

Do It...

They fit very well.
When hammer is cocked it touchs relief in stock but very easy to clearance.
Highly recommend recoil pad upgrade.
Installing pillars and bedding makes a great stock ive used featherlight thumbhole, varmint thumbhole, provarmint and they all fit well.
You will need your own ramrod retention spring.

Good advice on the recoil pad upgrade. I forgot about that, but it's the biggest dislike I have more my boyds stock. When I got mine, I went with the standard pad, thinking it wouldn't be that bad, and if it really was that uncomfortable I'd just put a Limbsaver on it. It's pretty uncomfortable, so I ordered a couple pads, turns out nothing fits right. If I want to upgrade I have to either send it back to Boyds or get a grind to fit, but I can't bring myself to try grinding a on a pad that's on a finished gun. For now I just have a sore shoulder.

The grimd to fit aren't that bad to do. Just take your time attach to stock and outline fit then grind off gun. Takes awhile but will be worth it .

Just put this boyds/omega together today. Featherlight thumbhole good stock installed pillars and bedded and floated

bestill said:
Just put this boyds/omega together today. Featherlight thumbhole good stock installed pillars and bedded and floated

Very nice looking but i am surprised it has a ramrod. Was that requested or do you build your guns with a rod

Ramrod per customer request

1874sharpsshooter said:
03mossy said:
Mine should be finished next week . I will let you know and it just so happens it is Coyote brown Kirby :mrgreen:

Post up a pic of that coyote stock when you get it if you could. Pretty sure that's the color I'll go with.

Well I had about enough of going back and forth on this decision so I just placed my order about 5 mins ago.

03mossy said:
Well I had about enough of going back and forth on this decision so I just placed my order about 5 mins ago.
Congratulations. I am sure you will like it. I am still waiting :( :( but hopefully this week sometime it will be done

1874sharpsshooter said:
03mossy said:
Congratulations. I am sure you will like it. I am still waiting :( :( but hopefully this week sometime it will be done

How long has your wait been?

And I also went with the Coyote laminate!

This is week 3. When I called them last week they said it was in production and their normal time frame is 15 business days which equals 3 weeks so I have high hopes for this week.

I have one. I went with the Forest Camo featherweight thumbhole . I ordered it a month before Christmas. I was disappointed with a couple things. First was when I ordered over the phone I wanted the upgraded limbsaver. The representative told me they were out of them and if I wanted one it would add two more weeks onto my lead time. I was told that without waiting on recoil upgrade my stock would be shipped the 18th, obviously waiting for the recoil would push it to after Christmas. Since our muzzleloader season is the first week of January I decided to forgo the upgraded recoil. Well my stock did not even ship until after Christmas. When I received it I had to file/sand just a little along the barrel and a little out of the hammer recess. The only reason I had to sand barrel area was because their was just a bit touching the barrel and I wanted it floated. Followed their advice and used linseed oil on sanded spots. I also pillered my stock. Not sure it did anything for accuracy but I sure do like the looks of it. Now back to my disappointment with customer service. I HATED the Boyds recoil pad. So I called to see if they had any back in stock and if it was a simple bolt on that I could order from them and install myself. The rep I spoke with told me it was not a simple bolt on, it had to be installed and fitted as they made the stock. And he told me that they are never out of the limbsaver pads. He looked up my order number and told me that he was the one that took my order and that he never told me they were out of them. Well he most certainly did tell me they were out and talked me out of ordering it with the upgrade. So he either lied when he told me they were out or he lied that he didn't tell me that. On a positive note I downloaded a template of all the limbsaver pads made and placed the boyds pad on each one until I found one that was very close and did not need to be fitted. I think it was for a mossberg shotgun. And now I love the stock.

Let's hope I don't have to even deal with there customer service. If the inletting needs a little work that's fine I guess. I did a Richards microfit a few years ago and it turned out pretty good but took a ton of hours and even more elbow grease, so I'm up for the task. This is going to feel like a long wait for this stock to come. I've been wanting a nice stock for this since I got it in '06, I'm excited to say the least.

I bought a walnut standard, the barrel channel was off to one side, front screw hole was to far forward, rear screw hole to deep (only an eight inch of wood remained), ram rod wouldn't fit and the fore end would flex when using a sling. Since the wood was really soft the rear screw broke the little wood that was left.

I free floated the barrel which was real easy using very soft wood, pillar bedded, filed the front swivel bolt and nut so the ram rod would slides in and sealed the wood.

First time out the rifle shot and felt good. Makes a very light stock. Ram rod slides in nice and easy. Don't feel I will bed the stock.
only had it out once, I like it. Should have payed less with all the labor I had to put in to finish the stock.

UPDATE: The rifle started to shoot badly on my second outing I use a sling and a crack developed on both sides of the stock starting on top of the trigger well by the hammer, going down following the grain and will be between the lugs on the bottom somewhere when it cracks in half. Gave Boyds a call 8/14/15 no one answered. I did leave a msg and sent email.

1874sharpsshooter said:
03mossy said:
Mine should be finished next week . I will let you know and it just so happens it is Coyote brown Kirby :mrgreen:

Your coyote stock ever come in?

Back