250g T-EZ...80g Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

80teza.jpg

80tezb.jpg

80tezc.jpg

IMG_0487.JPG

The bullet penetrated the carpet, shelving, and three jugs. It bounced off the fourth jug, and was found right there, straight down on the ground. The fourth, and fifth jug were recovered intact. The load was 80g Blackhorn, 250g T-EZ, short black Harvester sabot, W209 primer. The range was 25 yard. The first jug was shredded, the next two were tossed, and mostly emptied.

That is far better than the previous test.
I'll have that bullet with 105gr (73.5 weighed) in my TC Impact this fall. It will be primary or secondary for elk depending what my TC Triumph Bone Collector likes.

I want to try the water / phone book test with different mixes of lead. Ive pulled some from the dirt banks and they open up huge with very soft lead. I have to figure the correct hardness. The deer I shot last year with pure lead cast, exited through the far shoulder and came out like baseball size. spoiled WAY too much meat. Most of my shots here are almost bow range.

As a point of interest I get about 1600 FPS with 80 gr. according the chart that would be happening at about 100 yds. with the heavier load, now some where between 50 and 80 gr. is the critical point for opening that bullet and some people do use 100 gr. or less ; I suspect that's why we hear about a problem at longer ranges with these bullets once in a while.[I am talking about Blackhorn other powders may give lesser results]I do wonder what the minimum velocity that will dependably open the different Barnes bullets is?

If they are within bow range just neck shoot them, don't loose much if any meat that way, I try to shoot all my deer in the neck, it drops them on the spot..usually just aim at white patch on their throat or in front of shouldes where neck joins body.. if I shoot them in body try to miss shoulders and just get lungs, with soft lead still puts them down very quick. Ive head shot a ton of deer also but most of them were with 240 gr. XTP`s out of a T/C Black Diamond or Fire Hawk.

Squeeze said:
I want to try the water / phone book test with different mixes of lead. Ive pulled some from the dirt banks and they open up huge with very soft lead. I have to figure the correct hardness. The deer I shot last year with pure lead cast, exited through the far shoulder and came out like baseball size. spoiled WAY too much meat. Most of my shots here are almost bow range.

I did exactly that on one deer this year. I watched It come to about 60 yards from me, nose to the ground right up my trail in dragging a doe in heat scent. I was just getting ready and it got to the far side of a clump of brush, and lays down. Im looking through the scope and can just make out a patch of fur here and there, couldn't tell what. I'm in a climber stand, so just had to sit still. 3 HOURS it stayed there dozing. I got impatient and dropped a new squirt of scent off the stand, dug a grunt call out of my pack and let a loud one out. It finally stood, all I could see was its head and top of neck, so I took the shot. (just where you said) Dropped and twitched a few but never moved. It was a big body 7 pt. really, no meat at all spoiled, and dead in its tracks. Think Ill be happy to take a neck shot again when given the chance. that was a 300 bloodline from a .50. Hole in and out and a small cluster of the petals exiting. Found 1 petal just under the skin, in just the little bit of flesh behind the head, so I'm sticking with bloodlines for now, for hunting, and will take a neck shot from now on when it feels right. :D

Latest posts

Back