New Powders for easy cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:yeah:

Thanks Ron. It's always fun to get other peoples opinions. That's what the forum is all about. Your right though. It's probably just a Ray thing to pull the B/P every 6 to 8 shots.
The members have to remember to read all these opinions and then do whats best for them. What works for one person or in one rifle may not work well or at all for another member or in another rifle.

Ray...........Thanks for all those tests and reports you have been posting. Your supplying the forum with a lot of free info that I'm sure will help some members :applause: :applause: :applause:

I clean the flame channel every 6-7 shots too, but I don't pull the BP out to do it. Just open the action (CVA) turn upside down, twist drill, tap, done. Takes less than 5 seconds.

got 2 dealers close to my house that sells BH209. one sells it fore 34.99 the other is 39.99-40.99 .. the second one is bad about riseing price's ... he gets a 350 round box of 22LR shells and sells them fore a 5x more then they are worth??? I hope Pyrodex hodgdon comes out with a new powder in 2016-2017...

Everybody is complaining about the price of BH, so tell me this then, what do you pay for your favorite centerfire rifle ammo. Probably anywhere from $28 to $40 a box for 20 rounds, so I think BH isn't that more expensive considering

stringtalker said:
Everybody is complaining about the price of BH, so tell me this then, what do you pay for your favorite centerfire rifle ammo. Probably anywhere from $28 to $40 a box for 20 rounds, so I think BH isn't that more expensive considering

You sure? When I add it up the muzzleloader cost more per round.

I had used 120 grains of triple seven and switched to blackhorn 209.

Love the stuff. Shot ten times no swabbing in my tight barrel. Last bullet and sabot went down as easy as the first. No crud ring.

Didn't have to remove the stock to pour water over the rifle and scope only need to swab a few times with hoppes. Breach plug unscrewed very easy (Omega).

How much blackhorn do I use to match my 120 grain load of 777 ?
I used 110 grains first time out.

Blackhorn 209 is priced to high is my only complaint so I plink with a centerfire rifle. I reload, a box of 30-06 costs me 5 to 6 dollars depending on what components I use from my stash.

My first time back here in a while - I tend to drift from centerfire rifles to handguns to muzzleloaders and so on. But when I saw this recent thread, I had to check in.

I don't see anyone mentioning Alliant's relatively new black powder substitute, BlackMZ. The stuff smokes less than loose or pelletized T7 or Pyrodex and White Hots pellets - almost like BH209 - and is nearly as clean burning as BH209 but cleans up with normal black powder gear. I use a T/C pre-saturated patch run through the bore once each side with two dry patches after that and the last one comes out almost dirt-free. There is NO crud ring here in humid south-central Pennsylvania. Accuracy is on a par with BH209 in my current rifle, a T/C ProHunter FX, and I buy it for $26.95 for a 16-ounce bottle. My breech plug can always be removed with just my fingers but this rifle has a exposed breech plug that is easy to grip.

Alliant told me they developed it in 2011 but spent four years testing it until they felt good about releasing it this year. They claim it is easier to ignite than any other fuel of its type and the cleanliness with which it burns bears that out. I'm using 90 grains by volume of it sparked by a Federal 209A with a 245-grain PowerBelt and getting a little over 1,800fps chronograph readings. That will harvest a Pennsylvania whitetail without harvesting my shoulder in the process. I've shot numerous one-hole three-shot 50-yard groups with that load and can usually get three shots into 1-1/2" at 100 yards with a 3-9x Leupold UltimateSlam scope (but I'm working on improving those groups). Oddly, BlackMZ isn't overly impressed with really tight sabot-to-bore fit - PowerBelts are easy for my arthritic joints to seat and it shoots them into smaller groups than Barnes or other hard-to-seat bullets. Yet, in keeping with each rifle's individuality, mine doesn't shoot Federal's easy seating 270-grain Trophy Copper bullets very well and I have a bunch of them that were sent to me for testing when they first came out.

The Alliant media relations person with whom I spoke told me they have no plans to release BlackMZ in pellet form. My only gripe with it is a minor one. The shape of its granules makes it a bit tough to get flowing out of a funnel cap and if you tap your filled measure on something, you can cause a good deal of settlement so I always top it off. But otherwise, I like it better than anything else I've tried.

Ed

BlackMZ is very very similar in composition to American Pioneer "Super" and the Shockley "Gold" line of powders. It also shares many of the same issues. The main one being poor standard deviation when measured by volume. Its also quite heavy when compared to other subs at roughly 90gr by weight to equal 100gr by volume.

Swiss cost about the same and Olde Eynsford is cheaper. Both offer superior performance and ease of ignition. I will have to pass on the "kitty litter". Alliant had very little to do with its development and its not even close to the last BlackMag powder which it was supposed to mimic.

Yep, too moisture-grabbing - too thick and too inconsistent.

Real Goex FFF and Blackhorn 209 for me. Someday I'll purchase the Olde Eneysford, if I can ever find it locally. I will try Guns Galore up in Fenton Michigan next. They may carry it.

TB actually did a very good write up the history of BlackMZ and the original version called BlackDot aka BlakmagXP. Alliant was going to use the MDM formulation (Blackmag) before MDM's plant exploded. After that they turned to American Pioneer and changed the name.

BlackmagXP was a very decent powder with much better performance.

Latest posts

Back