Lee R.E.A.L bullets molds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnlek

Reaction score
Looking at giitting these molds for my CVA optima v2 rifle and pistol.

How did they shoot, load and accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Lee R.E.A.L bullets molds

I cast both sizes in 50 and 54 caliber. I found that they like a light powder charge so they might shoot well. What I have discovered about them is they are a close to moderate range projectile. When you start getting out past 70 yards, they begin to open the group REAL bad. Maybe its just me. But they sure are an effective hunting bullet. In fast twist the heavier seem to shoot better.

In 50-cal, The 320 gr mold, when applied to your CVA rifle, gets more favorable reviews than the 250 gr.

With so much time remaining before hunting season, perhaps a member here will ship you 10-15 to try-out (at a pre-determined cost of course), before investing in those molds.

Thank you TripleSa7en

Does anyone have about 20 of the 50cal 320 gr that I can try.

Slow day around here today. May take a few days for some of the members to check-in on this thread.

I checked my supplies and found I had about sixty hidden away. So if you need 20 of them to test your rifle and pistol I can handle that for you. I also will throw in a few of the other bullets I cast which might work good for you. Just PM me your name and address.

Cayuga thank you Name and address send

I've taken the advice of others and also found out myself that having something between the base of the bullet and the powder seems to make the shots more consistent. I've tried lubed felt wads, cardboard cards, even wadded up paper napkins and they all worked. I've settled on cardboard over powder cards made from cereal boxes and cut with a sharpened steel pipe. I now use a plastic mallet to pound. It prevents the pipe from flattening out.

9C16BD21-CD6E-47E8-887C-09617EC49DC9_zpsutktzxof.jpg

I use a "hollow hole punch" to do the same wad making. I use the 1/2 inch which is a tad on the small side and the 9/16th which seems to make a tighter fit. I make them out of cardboard (milk carton cardboard works real good) and cereal boxes but also I go to a hardware store and get 100% wool insulation strips for windows and doors. I can punch out a bunch and wool does not like to burn. On a flat based conical these will sometimes improve the accuracy as they act as a gas seal. Although with REAL conicals, that is the purpose of the first band I was told.

I just received the felt samples from Superior Felt. It looks great. They sent me 3-8.5"x11" samples.

All 1/8"

http://www.superiorfelt.com/products/wo ... e-pressed/
F1 white 16lb
F3 Grey 16lb

http://www.superiorfelt.com/products/wool-felt/sheets/
Sheet pressed felt 20lb which is very stiff and cant be rolled. Part# 20S10125 20lb .125″ 36″ x 36″

Minimum order $150
SAE pressed felt is around $68 per 36"x60" sheet in white and about $45 for grey.
Sheet felt is around $68 per 36"x36" sheet and shipping is a little more since it cant be rolled.

shguns said:
GM54

Have you checked this source for felt for wads?

http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

No i haven't until now.

The price is very close to the one i posted but there is no $150 minimum.
FM1836H 36" 36" 1/8" 0.36 gm/c3 - Hard F-1 $37.00 each 1,296 sq. in
FM18H-3 54" 36" 1/8" 0.36 gm/c3 - Hard F-1 $53.00 each 1,944 sq. in

vs F1 White 60"x36" for $68 which is the smallest they sell.

Superior Felt offers F1 Gray at a good savings but it has a bit less wool content.

Thanks for the link. I would have a hard time using up 3 rolls of F1 for wads. :D

I have gone to both source.
Thank you shguns and GM54 for the sources.

You bet!

I have wanted to order some felt, as I have some punches that I believe to be the correct sizes for my guns, but have not pulled the trigger on ordering any yet. :)

I have both the Lee R.E.A.L. .50 cal 250gr and .54 cal 300gr double molds with handles if anyone is interested.

I be interested in the 50cal 250gr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back