Drop test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Has anyone ever performed a Drop Test to see if one's bullet moves?
I know in Golf a Stimpmeter is used to determine green speed, just thinking with an inline it might be quite easy to test. It's the parameter inwhich the test is done has to be determined.
Any ideas?

My test:
I took my Mountaineer and loaded a bullet which is about 0.002" over bore diameter and drop tested - bullet didn't move.
I took my Super Disc with bullet right at bore diameter - the rifling just barely visible on bullet and it moved about 0.100" - 0.125" (1/8").
My thought was to drop the gun vertically 6" onto a piece of pine board (not to mar or damage anything) - see if the bullet moves. This should represent an actual hard hit in the field.
NO powder needed with an inline - load the bullet to the breech and test.

Yes, I do it with conicals if they don't fit tight. I'm not sure how much value it has? A bullet should hold compression on the powder. Not just stay in place.

I have tested different projectiles with that same kind of test. And yes, some will move depending on the rifle. One reason why from time to time hunting, I take the ramrod and check the bullet to make sure its well seated. In all the years of hunting I never had one move yet. But at home I was able to get some movement.

Latest posts

Back