primers & vent liners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Primer in relationship to powder will definitely change accuracy.

Vent liner is a very hard 10-32 countersunk allen head screw that has .028 hole drilled thru the center. The vent liner is installed in the nose of breech plug to be your flash hole. With this setup. As flash hole erodes you can simply unscrew vent liner and replace.

10 vent liner.

P1000811.JPG

P1000817.JPG

Breech plug drilled and tapped to receive vent liner.

P1010273.JPG

Vent liner installed.

P1010276.JPG

P1010269.JPG

Indeed. The reason it was done to the CVA plug, is because it is a way to make the plug into a plug, that will ignite Blackhorn reliably. TC plugs come from the factory already able to ignite Blackhorn, as do Knight plugs. Most any plug can have a vent liner installed. The older CVA plug, also works good igniting Blackhorn, if the vent liner is installed.

P1010030.JPG

P1010033.JPG

Are there other advantages? It looks like the charge would be closer to the primer with the vent liner than with the loose powder breach plug that I bought for the gun.

By loose powder Breech plug, i assume you are speaking of the CVA QRBP loose powder/blackhorn plug. If so, the powder will be further away from the primer in the pictured QRBP with the vent liner installed. You will be just fine using the plug you have, it works good, until the flash hole erodes large enough so it allows powder into the flame channel.

The advantage of the modified plug is it has the replaceable vent liner which replaces a worn flash hole. Another advantage is it has a 5/32" flame channel, which in theory allows more shots between cleaning.

Another advantage of the modified plug is with a flame channel that is longer than the loose powder plug, and with a flame channel that is larger diameter, the channel has a larger volume. The larger volume absorbs more pressure from the igniting powder, and reduces the pressure on the primer.

rangerod said:
Where can I get this work done? Is it expensive? Original bp is nitride. Does that matter?

I asked CVA about that. It's not Nitride. Just some coating to make it black to match.

Muley Hunter said:
rangerod said:
Where can I get this work done? Is it expensive? Original bp is nitride. Does that matter?

I asked CVA about that. It's not Nitride. Just some coating to make it black to match.

Well thats good and bad.

Bad because CVA makes it sound like it is nitride

Good because nitride it very hard compared to stainless and would be more difficult to modify.

Exactly. Asked Ron about doing a black BP thinking it was Nitride, and he didn't want to do it. I guess it eats up the tooling pretty bad. That's when I asked CVA about it.

I wonder how long it would last if it was Nitride?

rangerod said:
If you already have the loose powder plug, you don't need any work done. If you wish to modify the original plug, i should be able to find a tutorial that will show you how to do it. If you want to hire someone to do the work, i am available for $25.

Muley Hunter said:
Exactly. Asked Ron about doing a black BP thinking it was Nitride, and he didn't want to do it. I guess it eats up the tooling pretty bad. That's when I asked CVA about it.

I wonder how long it would last if it was Nitride?

In theory the flash hole life of a BP with the nitride treatment should last a long time. Primer carbon should also not stick to it as well. If you wanted the ultimate in BP life, go with a tungsten bushing. They are lasting a very long time in the SMLs. I know who sells the bushings.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this issue. It seems if I'm going to shoot a lot in the long run I may be better off with the vent liner. Thanks to Ron for the offer. I'll have to think about it. These are the kind of things I joined the forum for. I grew tired of listening to some of the hype out there and being disappointed.

Indeed. The reason it was done to the CVA plug, is because it is a way to make the plug into a plug, that will ignite Blackhorn reliably. TC plugs come from the factory already able to ignite Blackhorn, as do Knight plugs. Most any plug can have a vent liner installed. The older CVA plug, also works good igniting Blackhorn, if the vent liner is installed.

P1010030.JPG

P1010033.JPG
Hi Ron! My name is Tim, you have responded to a couple of my posts on here with very useful info. Thank you for that! I have a question, I am interested in you installing a vent liner in my cva optima qrbp. I am speaking of the factory plug that shipped with the gun. I shoot Bh209 and I drilled my flame channel out to 1/8", and I o-ring my primers as well so I am reliably igniting bh209 with federal premium 209mz primers. I know I know I'm doing all the things they tell you not to but I come from the school of if it's not broke don't fix it. The gun has instant ignition so I come to you for a vent liner just to increase the service life of my plug. It's not an ignition issue. And I would like my flash hole to be around .35 Right now my flash hole is .31 just from wear and tear and cleaning. But how much would it cost for you to install a vent liner and send 3 or 4 extras with it? If you can get back with me and we will se about doing this. It seems like a no Brainerd to do this after I seen your pics. Thanks for your time get back with me when you can.

Thanks again, Tim Brady

Latest posts

Back