Stock CVA Breech Plug For BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
Before CVA and Western came out with the BP's made for BH 209. We used to shoot BH 209 just fine. I just bought an Optima from Carlos, and didn't have enough money to get a Western BP. I asked Carlos to modify the stock BP to shoot BH 209. All that is done is drill out the flame channel a little bigger. A very easy thing to do.

I have the headspace set to just take up the extra tolerance it comes from the factory with. No crush of the primer at all, and the action can be closed as easily as if no primer is used. I used Federal 209a primers. I went to the range the other day, and took 20 shots to sight in, and try a couple of different bullets. I had perfect ignition for all 20 shots. I did clean the flame channel at 10 shots with a drill, but I always do that with any BP. Accuracy was typical CVA which is very good. Some of the bullets were even a much looser fit than I like, and ignition was still perfect.

Just some info for those who don't want to spend the $30 for a BH BP.

btw Carlos told me this is how he shoots all his CVA guns. Just the stock BP drilled out.

A vent liner is nice to have, so you didn't waste the money. I'll probably have him do mine when the flash hole wears out.

Flash hole wasn't touched. I'm really not sure what size it is. I just find a drill to fit the flash channel when it's clean, and use it to clean. My eyesight is too bad to read what size the drill is. Maybe someone else knows what size Carlos uses?

In the past i've used the stock BP with no drilling. It will work, but you need a tight headspace, hot primers, and have to clean the flash channel often.

I'm guessing you don't hunt in the Northern Tier, during our December Seasons when the temps can and do dip below 0º F? I have hunted in -20º to -30º F a few times, mostly in the UP.

The point I'm trying to make, is what works OK in July and August with the OEM plug, might come back to bite you when December rolls around.

I agree that if you cannot afford a Western or CVA Blackhorn breech plug, that drilling out the flame channel from 3mm to 1/8" or better yet 5/32", will work better than the OEM plug. If you do this check the depth of the flame channel with a 3mm drill bit, mark the bit and transfer that to the appropriately sized (1/8" or 5/32") dill but before drilling. Do not drill through the web that contains the flash hole. However, the best option would be to send your OEM plug to Ron and let him drill it out to 5/32" and install a replaceable liner in it. This will allow you to adjust your flash hole to any size you wish at any moment, and replace it when warn out.

I have tested Blackhorn 209 in all kinds of weather with 18ish different rifles with around 50ish different breech plugs. All things are not equal, and several OEM plugs are severely lacking when it comes to consistency. The OEM CVA QRBP as designed falls into that severely lacking category, especially so in lower temps. The Western Blackhorn QRBP is the best commercially manufactured choice, followed closely by the CVA "BLACKHORN" QRBP. The very best is a customized QRBP with a 5/32" flame channel and a vent liner installed. Ron is your man for that. I only do my own plugs.

Pete I use a # 21 drill because that is the right size to tap 10-32 for the vent liner. It works just fine

I asked Carlos about the cold weather. He said he uses it in weather down to 5 degrees with no problem. Not sure I want to hunt in any colder weather. My bones creak when it's 80 degrees.

Muley Hunter said:
......modify the stock BP to shoot BH 209. All that is done is drill out the flame channel a little bigger. A very easy thing to do........

IMG_0686.JPG

OK......OK......What size drill?

I explained that above. Vision too poor to read the drill. I just grabbed the one that fit when it was clean. My drills aren't organized. Just loose in a box.

No matter. I got an answer from Carlos. He uses an 1/8" drill for the flash channel. What I didn't know is he also uses a #65 drill on the flash hole.

A # 65 drill makes a 0.035" hole. My breech plugs don't have a 0.035" flash hole until they have 200-300 shots through them. Your breech plug is virtually near worn out. If that is cool with you, that's nice.

Me, i have to use a magnifying glass to read drill sizes even if i put cheaters on. Surely you have a magnifying glass.

I do, and I still couldn't read it. My eye sight is trashed, and the reason I had to give up tying flies for fly fishing.

Yes, i'll be putting in a vent liner after my hunt this year.

You say my BP is near worn out from drilling the flash hole. What would be the bad effect of a worn out flash hole? I have instant ignition, and holes touching at 100yds with the inferior Powerbelts.

When will I notice anything from my worn out BP?

IMG_0687.JPG

Hey Pete, if you can get bullet holes to touch at 100 yard using the plug you described, it certainly isn't worn out. We can understand why you are happy with it. Some have written that accuracy suffers, when the flash hole gets too large. Me, i don't know.

Right or wrong, here is a simple view of breech plugs. The smaller flash hole reduces the pressure on the primer. The larger flame channel reduces the pressure on the primer. In the photo, note the leaking primers. That happens when the flash hole is too large, or the powder charge is too large, or the temperature is too hot. Some times leaking primers can be stopped, by making the flame channel larger. Some times leaking primers can be stopped by making the flash hole smaller, which entails installing a vent liner with a smaller than existing hole.

You wrote the flame channel of your plug is 1/8" diameter. Me, i would have made it 5/32" if i were the one with the drill motor. From time to time, i grab a brand new breech plug, and before it is used, enlarge the flame channel with a 5/32" drill, and do no further modifications.

Another issue that happens when the flash hole gets larger than yours, is powder leaks through, and gets where it isn't supposed to be.

Pete,

Great shooting. No problem with that B/P. Are you going to hunt with your pistol this year and your rifle :?: Your going to have to get close with that pistol I would imagine. :huh?: Good hunting :!: :!: :!:

Ray........... :wink:

Back