Ed' 465 Grain Boolit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A box of Ed' boolit arrived here this afternoon, and with hurricane type winds forecast for tomorrow, it seemed prudent to try one out this afternoon.

IMG_0893.JPG

The range was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn

The following photo shows the jugs in the order they were before the shot, and the way they looked after the shot. The first two jugs were totally shredded. The third jug had a hole in, and a hole out. The fourth jug held the boolit. Watching the video, one sees the second jug fly up and away, high in the sky, out of view, then it lands.

IMG_0887.JPG

The 45 caliber boolit now weighs 458.6 grain, and measures one inch shy across the widest portion of the mushroom, just so barely less than an inch.

IMG_0891.JPG

Re: Ed' 265 Grain Boolit

Awesome performance.

May want to change the title of the post to 465.

Thanks for doing all of these test. It's a of great interest to me.

Ron, thanks for the report and can't wait to see how the 350gr HP bullet performs. We all appreciate all of the time and effort you put into this. Your report definitely provides a lot of information for us ML shooters on how bullets performs. It would be neat if someone could put together a web site or something with all of your videos where you can click on the bullet to see how it performs.

Ed

Nice bullet Ed and another great job Ron! Them squirrels are in trouble.

That recovered bullet looks a-little like lift-off from a 1940's-50s atom bomb test, shown on my dad's old Zenith or RCA black & white TV.

Ed:
I checked the hardness of this bullet you sent a while back - 4 BNH. Saeco chart indicates pure lead at 3-5 BNH.

[img ][/img]

Ed I cannot wait to see how the .50 cal 490 "trashcans" perform. Thanks again for all your help with this project. We are leaving for a Cow Elk hunt on the 19th of this month. I hope to report some success and a performance report.
Ron thanks for your work on the test. I gives me great confidence with my own cast bullets.
I hope to set up a similar test while out hunting and post results.
Thanks again guys.

52Bore said:
Ed:
I checked the hardness of this bullet you sent a while back - 4 BNH. Saeco chart indicates pure lead at 3-5 BNH.

What do you feel is the ideal hardness for a hunting round? So to get good expansion (but not blow up), but not be so hard they just pencil through?

My own opinion is this. You want soft lead to get the desired expansion and you want a heavy enough bullet that that baby keeps on pushing to give you the penetration you need.

+2 Art!

My 12 yr old grandson shot his first deer with this bullet last year. He shot it head on in the front shoulder. The bullet traveled the whole length of the deer and the bullet was found just under the skin by his groin. The picture Ron posted on how it mushroomed looked very much like the bullet from my grandson's deer.

Back