380 Grain Lead 45 caliber Hollow Point

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
52Bore made the mold, cast the bullet of pure lead, and mailed the bullet. It is designed for 50 caliber; perhaps larger rifles.

IMG_0990.JPG

The bullet was shot into carpet plywood, and water jugs at 26 yard. The load was 80g Blackhorn; a long black Harvester sabot was used.

The front jug was blown 20' offs to the side; the second jug was blown 12' off to the side. The bullet bounced off the fourth jug, and ended up on the ground about 6' away.

IMG_0981.JPG

The bullet weighs 367.4 grain. The mushroom is 1 5/32" diameter at the widest.

IMG_0982.JPG

Ron:
Thanks for your effort into these test. Since I was casting some with pure Pb (5 BHN) with this mold, I thought I'd ask you to compare against WW (12 BHN)
Note: Saeco data sheet states WW as 10 BHN, so mine are slightly harder.

I am not surprised at the WW loss of weight from 368g to 230g (62% retention) - when I cast WW the spru fractures into multiple pieces sometimes. I believe the nose shattered off - kind of like the Lehigh CF. Would love to see this one in a gel. It did penetrate more (5 jugs) than the same bullet in pure (3 jugs) as we saw other HARD bullets penetrate too.
I bet the WW bullet is close to the end of the HP plug, which means what you have left might be around 0.59" long?

I played with Sabots a few years ago and found no accuracy difference at 100yds in WW vs pure, which was a little surprising. Which to me, for shooting/hunting I found you can practically shoot for FREE as my local tire shop gave me more WW than I imagined when asked.

The pure performed great if not better than expected 380g to 367g (97% retention)!
The bullet is 0.450" diameter and 0.990" long for a sabot. The HP is 0.150" and about 0.400" long - to about the ojive.

Attachments

• 450 380g.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 386
The length of the wheel weight bullet is now around 0.46". It will be kinda interesting to see how far the 500 bullet made of wheel weight penetrates. Without the hollow point, it is possible it won't be found, because it isn't stopped.

Back