Black Diamond Super 45 XR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fun rifle, but a little frustrating. Accuracy is generally good. However, if the barrel gets even a little warm she goes nuts. It may be sabot related as the Hornady ( MMP?) tans I bought are OLD stock. Hoping to get some Harvester crush rib 40/45's soon. Crush ribs have worked well in every rifle/caliber I've tried them in. I also HAVE to locate a walnut stock. Not only so she matches my .50 XR ( pretty pretty) but the tupperware is ...poop. I wish T/C and others, used the same type synthetic that Knight used. You COULD club a bear over the head with one of those! So far, she likes a .40 cal 180 XTP over 50 gr of 3f Swiss. Don't want to over stress that bullet. I'm guessing about 1550-1600 fps. Bang flopped a doe at 50 yards with that load yesterday ( Penn red tag). An interesting thing, the breech plug on this 45 seals better than ANY plug I've ever seen! NOTHING makes it to the threads. Put a Leupy VX1 2x7 on her today, in low Weaver mounts, and zeroed. Up 1 3/4 at 50, dead on at 100 and managed a 3 shot 7/8" group. A polite load. I know it went off cuz there's smoke in the air. I'm hopeful things work out, and my .50 XR plays nice. Jealous thing...

I have the same weapon and after 2 shots I have to let it cool down or she tends to open up a bit, I shoot a 175 gr cast that I picked up on gunbroker with green sabot pushed by 85 gr of pyrodes rs, if I do my part and let the weapon cool down I can cloverleaf rounds all day long, I normally shot twice then a spit patch seems to do the trick for her, my favorite ML but it's the dirtiest

If you try single port nipples instead of flamethrowers, you will notice a dramatic decrease in breech fouling and , in my .50 cal XR, higher velocity. My .50 gained 100 fps. This is confirmed by chronograph, not guessing. I prefer the Ampco bronze nipples. They give long life and don't beat up the striker face or wear the breech plug threads.
Its a bit odd that the heavier .45 barrel would be so heat sensitive. The .50 doesn't seem much bothered, even with its lighter barrel.By this I mean the external barrel diameters are the same. The .45 just has a smaller hole and the weight difference is surprising. Can't wait for cooler weather...

Latest posts

Back