Best way to measure BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrimpy50

Reaction score
I have a TC U- View that measures to 120 grains, but I read how some of these methods are not precise. Is there a better way?

Volume is fine for most, and plenty accurate. If you want to get tournament/match precise a lot of guys weigh the charge. this is a more precise and exacting method. (from western powder website): you can convert the volume load recommendations into weighed grains by multiplying the volume load by 0.7. Example: 100 units by volume x 0.7 = 70 grains by weight. 110 volume charge x 0.7 = 77 grains by weight.
I still use volume measurement 90% of the time, and a TC U-view is my measure of choice.

OK. I figured volumetrically was fine for hunting, I meant to say is there a better powder measure than what I am using. I have seen or read that the available units might not be precise enough, with variances in weight by 5 grains or more. Thanks for responding! 8)

Powder measures all vary from brand to brand. The U-view is one of the most consistent ive found, and close to actual. The main thing with a volume measure, is to find what groups best in your gun, with your preferred load. you may find that its (for instance) 95 grains volume, BUT if you poured this measure into another brand, say a brass measure, it may read 90 grn (or 100, etc) its really just a matter of using the same measure, OR that volume to determine what your weighed charges will me. Say if you want to weigh from then on, once you have established your preferred load, you could then weigh each charge and use load tubes. But for the most part, for hunting purposes, a grain or 3 either way wont make a noticable difference for the vast majority of shooters. Match shooters, or the constant tinkerer will usually weigh for the utmost in consistency. But in truth, the majority of guys wouldnt notice the difference.

I also use the TC U-VIEW. I have compared it to the brass measure both having swivel funnels. Pouring 100 grns measured from one to the other showed them to be the same. TC also makes one where the funnel slides back and forth instead of swiveling. Brownells shows it on there web site. These seem to be popular with a lot of shooters. The screw connecting the funnel to the measure kept coming loose for me on the brass measure.

It would seem that making an accurate powder measure would be a simple thing for any manufacturer to do. I would expect them to all be uniform. Maybe not. I have heard of measures that someone says doesn't seem accurate.

To ma as long as you use the same one every time and do the same procedures every time it won't matter to me I won't tap the measure to get it so settle down and add more if need I just flip my funnel and pour

Latest posts

Back