Final Sight Check

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes, I did a final check and tune with my Knight 45 Elite. It was a bit breezy, but I had some protection with the trees. I was only at a ranged 65 yards, chip shot distance.

Here were a few findings and confirmations. The impact from clean bore to fouled was very minimal, as experienced in the past. I'd put it no more than 1/2" at this distance. That's why I just hunt with the primer fouled bore, which is what I did here.

My M-L shoots much better than my Browning Gold with the Hastings slug barrel, groups less than a 3rd the size of the slug gun shooting SST slugs. The trigger is MUCH better on the Knight also. The slug gun comes just as a backup. A buddy has used it more than me over the years.

I was shooting 200 grn XTP bullets in a light blue crush rib sabot, 110 grns of B209 with a CCIM primer. I don't do anything between shots, just reload and shoot again.

I also tried weighing the charges. I measured 110 grains of power with my volume measure tool. Three charges weighed 85, 85.2, then 85.1 grains on my powder scale. I wasn't trying extra hard to be exact. After that I'll just stick with volumetric measuring.

With the home range I was able to adjust the 3-9 pwr Zeiss Conquest right where I want it, 1/2" or so high at the 65 yards. Anyhoo, I'll be in position for the IL opener next Friday.

Thats interesting , what powder measure do you have ? I was wondering because 110 gr is only 77 by weight for me and 85 is a little over 120 by volume in my measurer .

1874sharpsshooter said:
Thats interesting , what powder measure do you have ? I was wondering because 110 gr is only 77 by weight for me and 85 is a little over 120 by volume in my measurer .

Good catch! I glossed right over that. 77 in mine also.

:huh?:

Thanks, yes I will have to double check that measure. It's one of the clear glass type 'U-View' I think. I did think it was set right at 110 grains, but thinking on it, 85 by weight does seem high. I know I was going slow and had 're-zeroed' my scale.

I'll do some checking and see what's up.

muskrat30 said:
Thanks, yes I will have to double check that measure. It's one of the clear glass type 'U-View' I think. I did think it was set right at 110 grains, but thinking on it, 85 by weight does seem high. I know I was going slow and had 're-zeroed' my scale.

I'll do some checking and see what's up.
That weight would be correct for triple 7 but not Blackhorn .
Maybe thats what happened .

I went back and checked everything. I may of been just a little generous with my 110 grain charge. Taking it back to nothing beyond the top edge I come up with 82 grains by weight.

That may not be the 'official' conversion amount. I'll have to go look at the stated factor that is supposed to convert to weight.

In the interim, I'll just do my volume measuring. Yes, B209 powder throughout.

The conversion factor is .7, from the B209 website. Volume X .7 = equivalent weight, supposed to. Maybe my measure is a bit off. I may try another.

O.K., possible weight discrepancy aside, the 45 cal Elite did great. I took three shots, one coyote, a nice 9 ptr and a doe. The longest shot was the coyote at 50 yards. The 200 grn XTPs performed superbly.

It doesn't like my picture size.

Back