Sighting in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
I only have a 25 yard range to sight in no where to do it before any one ask. I'm shooting a encore ,300 gr scorpion put gold, 100 yrs blackthorn 209. Okay now the question I'm dead on at 25 best guess where will impact be at 100 yards thanks in advances

Ron's pretty well dead on the money. Based on the JBM ballistics chart, and shooting a 250gr Barnes with a tad more velocity, I'd be about 4.3" low at 150 and 13" low at 200.

Kinda weird how the 250g bullets fly about the same as 300g bullet when pushed by the same amount of powder. Me, i use the same CDS dial for both weights, when hunting.

Seems i would be remiss, if i didn't mention, OP, i have never sighted my rifle in at 25 yard, and had it be right at 100 yard. It would be wise to check your impact at 100 yard before relying on it to be reliable. Nor do i expect the 200 yard impacts to be reliable, after sighting in at 100 yard.

ronlaughlin said:
Kinda weird how the 250g bullets fly about the same as 300g bullet when pushed by the same amount of powder. Me, i use the same CDS dial for both weights, when hunting.

Seems i would be remiss, if i didn't mention, OP, i have never sighted my rifle in at 25 yard, and had it be right at 100 yard. It would be wise to check your impact at 100 yard before relying on it to be reliable. Nor do i expect the 200 yard impacts to be reliable, after sighting in at 100 yard.

I agree.

Since you don't have a longer range at this point, I'd probably limit my shots to 100 and under...I would think you should be Minute of Deer at that range. I would get to a longer range and see how it shoots at the various distances as soon as you can.

ronlaughlin said:
Seems i would be remiss, if i didn't mention, OP, i have never sighted my rifle in at 25 yard, and had it be right at 100 yard.

Actually there are targets for that very purpose. If I recall correctly, you aim at the the red bull at 25 yards and adjust until you hit the green dot. This is suppose to put you on at 100 yards but I don't recall if it was caliber specific or not.

Attachments

• tntarget104grid3inchhigh.gif
    tntarget104grid3inchhigh.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 953
With a high power center-fire, 243/308, scope crosshairs 1.5" above the bore, one needs to be a tad LOW at 25 yards to be 'on' at 100.

This relationship would be somewhat less with a slower, heavier, faster dropping M-L bullet. I haven't really tested the theory precisely. I do know if one is on at 25 yards with a rifle, it's easy to miss high(hit high) at 100 yards.

Scope height plays a good sized part. Line of sight (POA) vs actual bullet path. The higher the scope the more they differ.

I've always sighted in 1" low at 25 and that gets me usually dead on at 100. I then adjust to hit about an inch and a half high at 100

I've always sighted in 1" low at 25 and that gets me usually dead on at 100. I then adjust to hit about an inch and a half high at 100

BuckDoeHunter said:
I've always seen that listed as a 3" high at 100yds target. I think if you were that high at 25, 100yds would be off by a bit

I believe you're right Buck, I just couldn't remember the exact details. However.the JBM balletic chart shows me .1mil (.36") low at 25 yards puts me on the bull at 100 yards - with my load and bullet, close enough to get started I think.

Calculated Table
Range Drop
(yd) (mil)
0 -1.6
25-0.1
50 0.7
75 0.8
100-0.0

Well, don't forget windage. Right, left, and all. A very little at 25 gets a bit larger at 100.

alaska viking said:
Well, don't forget windage. Right, left, and all. A very little at 25 gets a bit larger at 100.

Exactly - 1" off at 25 yards is 4" off at 100 yards.

I'd say you have a 25 yard rifle.

Like others have mentioned, scope height plays a big factor in POA vs POI.

You need to shoot it at any range you intend to hunt at. We owe that to the animals we hunt.

ronlaughlin said:
Do you think he is shooting a 270? He isn't. His bullet will be near 0 at 100 yard, when 0 at 25 yard.
I have to agree .I have sighted in several guns at 25 yards just to make sure they are on paper. And that usually puts me within 1/2 to 1 inch difference at 100 yards. This is in actuality in my pasture not with a ballistic calculator . I have also sighted some at 13 yards and that put me close at 75 yards.
from that point I fine tune to get dead on at 100 yards.

Back