optima pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaware Dave

Reaction score
Hey new to site, been exclusive with barrel stuffers for past 10 years, a Cabelas traditional, killed many deer with, then big step up to .50cal traditions pursuit, still using quite well, many 140 yard + clean kills using precision bullets in .357 duplex sabot. Entering into de permitted handguns season, loving reviews of optima 50 handgun, arrived yesterday. Plan to use as is with stock breech plug and 777 ffg powder is this a problem? See lot threads on modified breach Plug? Any one else using .357 bullets in .50 cal, recoil reduction is amazing, impact is devastating.

The standard breech plug will work just fine for 777 powder. The standard plug is more of a pellet breech plug, but 777 lose powder lights pretty easily.

The Blackhorn breech plug is designed for other loose powders as well.

The modified plugs will shoot any powder better, and you can replace or change your flash hole by merely changing the vent liner.

I use .50/.40 TC Shockwaves over 80 grains of Blackhorn 209 in mine. 1510 FPS, one hole groups @ 50 yards, and kills bucks dead.

Good luck with the new hand canon, they're a blast!

Thanks for info, I had read your write up on both on this site, and found to be quite helpful.

Great to have substantial amount of info before ever shooting first bullet.

I happen to have most of a box of XTP 200 gr left over from my days with Cabalas gun, plan to work up to 80 gr charge. will let you know how does.
Hope to get time to try this afternoon, plan to hunt our antlerless season starting Dec 12 with this gun, warm up for our any deer handgun season, in early Jan.

I use 80 grains 777 ffg loose and a 250 shockwave in my V2 pistol. I have only taken one doe with it so far. I spent time on the range with it and never had any problems with using 777 ffg.

my buddy uses 2 777 pellets w/200 gr. Shockwave hammers deer.. Im shooting 90 gr. pyrodex RS w/250 gr. Shockwave from mine, haven't shot a deer yet but its very accurate. You should have zero probems with loose 777.

The only problem I have with triple 7 in my optima handgun is the crud ring. I don't like to swab after every shot so I went with 70gr. blackhorn 209. My gun likes .452 300gr. XTP's in a harvester crushrib sabot. I never made it back to the range before it got too hot, yardwork an all the family obligations. I still have one tag left, so if I don't use it this week I want to get to the range and then try to use this gun for late blackpowder season.

Had few minutes yesterday and some beautiful weather, to try few shots with new gun.

Very impressed with accuracy, still making scope adjustments, but more fine tuning, than any thing

Shooting 200grn XTP bullets, mostly with 55grns of 777, did try one shot w 80 grn, saw very little difference in poi.
Plan to use 80 for hunting based on information on this site, but 55 more comfortable for initial setup.

Mostly swab between shots, but not always, little harder to load without, but no noticeable difference in accuracy at this point without.

Clean up breeze, about 8 swabs had barrel gleaming.

Only difficulty was what to do with second hand when shooting from rest. The trigger guard spur falls right where I want to wrap fingers, and I will mostly be shooting from rest in hunting situations. Any suggestions?

Not gonna lie, I love the looks of the V2 way better than my V1. Your point about the breeching lever in the back of the trigger guard getting in the way while shooting is something that hadn't crossed my mind, since I haven't shot the V2 in pistol form.

Maybe the V1 isn't quite so ugly after all? I know I would have already had a V2, if my V1 wasn't one hole accurate. I'm not messing with that.

I wish they would of left the action release the way it was on the V1, like was said it gets in the way and if not careful it will dig into your hand when shooting which can be very painful.

I finally got back to the range with the Optima pistol yesterday an tried 80gr BH 209. Its a hoot to shoot this gun an you better hold on, but it is one very accurate handgun. I'm getting touching groups 1" high at 50yds. now and even shot once out at 100yds which was 2" high, but still right above bull. Probably due to recoil.. I don't need a short starter with the crushrib sabots either, which is a big plus. I prefer the pistol now better than the Optima V2 rifle, both are nice guns, but if I had to choose only one I'd stick with my Whites!!

Going out in morning with it, opening of antlerless, so no going to worry about extra 100yds range w rifle. Fun just to see what is happening, deer wise, haven't been in 4 weeks.

I have one antlerless tag left an have to wait till Dec.28th week to hunt does in late ML season. It was 73 degrees here today, unbelievable weather for this time of year, set a new record that was 118 years old. Too dang hot to hunt deer anyway, should cool off by end of the month I hope.

Second Friday of antlerless season, hard rain Thursday evening, followed by cold front, sure deer would feed.
Pick up 4 year old son, from kindergarten, head for blind in protected corner of field, with good heater.
In blind by 340, deer start appearing in distant areas by 415, two come out of neighbors woods come to ditch marking property boundary, in range, but fail to cross. Just before 5oclock about 10 deer out, when group of three emerge about 40 yards away.
Optima pistol w 80 grn 777, and 200xtp all function nicely, harvest a nice eating 1.5 year old doe leaving her 2 yearlings for next season.

Very happy with performance, but as I am running out of canister of 777, have purchased Blackhorn breech plug, and powder, not shot yet.

Sure wish someone would make some better grips for this platform Optima/ Scout. Otherwise great shooting gun, Sunday to clear charge shot to 100yd target for first time, 4.5 low, dead center. Amazing accuracy especially at modest price tag.

Congrats on the doe! I'm thinking I will just wait now till next season an use my pistol in a blind. The White S91 is still loaded from early ML season and I don't want to waste that big conical if I don't have too..

Try 80gr. BH209, but be ready it will jump alittle!! :yeah:

I was considering this a test run, our handgun season w any deer legal starts Jan 2. This was antlerless any weapon

So missed sat opener of DE handgun season due to my 2 older sons competing in regional swim meet near Baltimore.

But strong cold front has moved in over last couple days, so my prospects looked good for evening hunts today and tomorrow, headed out a little late, got in blind with gun unloaded, litterly snapped breach closed look up and have deer moving in woods across field from me. Wait watch, they pile up at woods edge, first comes out 10 yards in field now about 60 from me, raise window, but now deer are steadily popping out. Get window up and hung open, but the movement of raising gun catch's attention of largest doe. She quickly bolts, just miss getting shot at 2 others in herd before all reenter woods. Still pretty good action 10 minutes in blind. Over next hour my deer count rises to 23 with large herd including nice 8pt gathering about 200 yds from me. One small deer appears several times in woods and on far side of property line, then finally enters my field about 70 yds out, and opposite side from herd. Feeds slowly my way, then seems to alert to noises in woods behind, ends up walking rapidly toward me, pauses briefly but long enough to settle scope, fire first hunting shot w blackhorn 209, what a difference in visibility, missed seeing impact, but was able to see blood appearing right at my aim point, less than second after shot.

Really enjoying pistol hunting, of course now have extra week bring total to 6 to harvest whitetail w muzzleloader in DE, the fun and added challenge, at the moment I am working on a 75yd max range, mostly due to my lack of shooting experience with gun, and 200 grn bullets, (if I don't use them now when will I?) hoping 240grn will shot as well give little more carry, try for next year.

By the way had 0 point of impact difference switching from stock breech plug w 80 grn 777, to blackhorn plug, and 80 grn blackhorn.

Defiantly appreciate ALL info available on this site, takes so much experimentation out of equation with new gun. Pretty sure most optima pistols loaded w 80 grn powder an 200 grn hp bullets will shot quite well thx Bubba.

Got the Optima V2 pistol as well. Like it a lot - only drawback to it is see is the plastic is somewhat sharp under the trigger guard.

Shooting 100gr Blackhorn 209 & a Hornady 300 grain .430XTP at 1,510 fps at the muzzle. 3 shot groups touching at 50 yards, 1" above bullseye.

Really want to get a deer with it, but one never presented the right opportunity this season...

Entering into my favorite 2 weeks of deer season now, popular shotgun, starts tomorrow, but muzzleloaders allowed, used by me, then our late muzzleloader season runs up to sat Jan 30. This tends to be my time to trophy hunt, mostly w rifle, but got plans to take pistol on a couple hunts to bait piles w large numbers of yearlings using. Learning how well I have it here seeing lot of posts of" done for season "

Yep, VA seasons ended Jan. 2nd...I never got that last tag filled, the deer were coming out at very last light, I could see white tails but nothing else. Oh, well it was still a great season overall. Looking forward to this fall already!! :yeah:

Back