cheap omega in rough shape yea or nea?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john 800

Reaction score
i was at tge local sporting goods store today and saw a used omega carbine z5 or z7 whatever they called it, with a camo thumbhole stock for only $79! after looking i found out why, the crown of the muzze has severe rust pitting. is there any chance it will shoot accurately enough to take deer at 100 yds with a pitted bore? i did not have a light on me to inspect tge rest of the bore.

I would personally take a chance on it. It would be a fun winter project either way. But I love Omegas and have to hide my wallet everytime one comes up for sale here.

i might go back ans ask to pull the breech plug and take a look at the bore, that should give me a pretty good idea where to go with it. i really like the omega i have, i wouldnt mind another, it would make finding a hunting partner easier if i had a spare.

Worth that just for action. Contact Bestill on this site. Makes nice accurate Muzzle Loaders

Cutting off the barrel and buttoning it is an option if that's all that is wrong with it check the bore.
There are several fairly complete sets of instructions for doing this in the archives.

$79 is pretty cheap. You can get them new for $275 as a reference.

I would go in with 7/16" socket, pull the breech plug and see what you have. I't's possible that just the QLA is rusted as that need special cleaning that swabbing the bore wont get.

If the BP and the entire barrel is rested up, just walk away unless you want a parts gun.

Latest posts

Back