XTP Mag vs. Non Mag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upper Hand

Reaction score
Have you guys noticed a significant difference between these two bullets? I ended up with a bunch of the .452 300gr MAG bullets after repeatedly ordering the non mag version while working on loads for a rifle. Within certain circles there seems to be a bias against the MAGs but they shoot pretty good. I have yet to see the terminal performance on deer but I don't forsee a rifle not being able to push a pistol bullet fast enough. Thoughts?

I was the same way. used the XTP for years, then got into some magnums, and figured they cant be too far off. Ive killed several deer with both, and there IS a pretty big difference. The mags always penciled through. Both went through, but the regs showed signs of expansion, not so much with the mags. Most of my shots are inside 50 yards. I guess a shot in the boiler room is a shot in the boiler room, But I wont hunt deer with the mags again

As said most do not like the mag version as it seems to not open up. Deer will die if hit right but you may need to track farther or onto your neighbor's property.

I had the same experience with 300 grain XTP Mags. I killed five deer with them, but two of them were double lunged with very little blood. I found both of them just searching. There was no expansion, just went straight through. They were very accurate.

For the sake of conversation I've shot two deer in the last month with 250 grain non MAGs and didn't any significant signs of expansion (both passed through). Both shots were in a Savage at velocities north of 2000 fps, much higher than the 800-1600 guidance listed on Hornadys website. In retrospect, my buddy has been shooting up my excess 300 grain MAGs in a CVA at significantly lower velocities with great accuracy but he's reluctant to use them on deer after seeing what my non MAGs did (or didn't do) to the deer that I've harvested. I'm content with my load, If anything I posted this question for his benefit.

I get 3 finger exits from the 250 xtp when launched at 1600 fps. I can't imagine one not expanding at 2 grand. My issues with the magnums is I couldn't get them to shoot as accurately as the non magnums. In my rifles the difference is significant.
If you shoot much past 100, go with the non mags as expansion is better as the velocity drops off. I'm currently trying the .40 xtp`s, 180 &200`s in my .45. Shot one doe with a 180. BANG flop at 50 yards. Best of luck!

I get 3 finger exits from the 250 xtp when launched at 1600 fps. I can't imagine one not expanding at 2 grand. My issues with the magnums is I couldn't get them to shoot as accurately as the non magnums. In my rifles the difference is significant.
If you shoot much past 100, go with the non mags as expansion is better as the velocity drops off. I'm currently trying the .40 xtp`s, 180 &200`s in my .45. Shot one doe with a 180. BANG flop at 50 yards. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back