Stainless or weathershield

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotehunter243

Reaction score
I am going to order another Encore frame and didn't know what yall recommend as far as weathershield or stainless

Stainless is always stainless, weathershield never was, nor will be.

I have a weather shield and it seams to me in high use areas such as the end of the muzzle the coating is coming off. I am starting to see tiny spots of surface rust when I'm hunting in rain and snow. Me I'd go blued or stainless.

my pro hunter FX is weathershield .. I like stainless never had any problems with it rusting like weathershield did..

http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/10/02/wh ... er-shield/

2. Isn’t it stainless steel under the Weathershield coating ?

Answer, No. According to TC customer service it is the same barrel as a blued barrel with the coating applied. And judging from the prices it must be a less expensive application for TC because the prices on Weather Shield components are noticeably cheaper.

my pro hunter FX is weathershield stainless 100% mine is a flat grey color... if it gets wet don't wait to long to clean it mine had rust on it. forgot to clean it wait 2 days and had rust on the breech plug, inside the barrel, outside the barrel ... my knight don't rust like that... WORM

rangerod said:
I don't believe your Pro Hunter FX is stainless. Carbon steel with grey weathershield.

Ditto!

When the Weather Shield first came out several years ago, I seen several brand new TC's that had rust spots on them in the gun racks at various retailers. Faux stainless.

The CVA's also had a coating that flaked off in high wear areas. Never liked the spray on finishes on any of the brands. At least theirs were actually stainless underneath. Now they have the Nitride over stainless, and a no-rust guarantee.

Still prefer real stainless for the most part, but I have learned to live with a coating on my pistols alloy frame. At least the barrel it's real stainless.

IMHO it does not matter whether you have a blued, strainless, weathershield, nitride, or other finish. If you clean your gun after shooting, and properly lube, you will not have rust. I have blued muzzleloaders over 25 years old with no rust. I clean and oil them after shooting. That is the key. They will last as long as you take care of them.

So far the only thing I've seen better than stainless steel is Nitride. Maybe. Time will tell. I certainly agree you will have no problems with rust if you take proper care of your guns. I learned from the very beginning with my first mz to take meticulous care. I have never had one issue with rust.

rangerod said:
So far the only thing I've seen better than stainless steel is Nitride. Maybe. Time will tell. I certainly agree you will have no problems with rust if you take proper care of your guns. I learned from the very beginning with my first mz to take meticulous care. I have never had one issue with rust.

I agree. Just take care of your guns, no matter what kind of steel or coating. The nitriding process is not a coating. It actually changes the surface structure and properties of the steel. It is basically akin to case hardening the surface. It makes the surface harder, more corrosion resistant and increases lubricosity. The process CVA uses is a heated salt bath process and actually treats the inside and outside of the barrel, which is already stainless, so in theory, it seems the ideal way to treat a muzzleloader. I have a couple of nitride CVA rifles and from what I can tell, the nitride treatment does all they claim, but I still clean and treat those rifles like they were regular blued steel.

Own a TC FX, very meticulous about cleaning and oiling. still have ended up with small chipping? spots on end of barrel that ended up with rust showing up at tip. Nothing at the end of rifling which would be a concern. Spots are at end of QLA, but are worrisome from a resale standpoint.

Back