Breech plug question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ronlaughlin said:
Just now installed the plug into the rifle at 40 inch pound; broke it loose from the unfired rifle at 26 inch pound.

Thanks Ron that is about what I really expected... shooting BH it really isn't significant anyway. It is to bad that you do not get a seal at the nose, at least better than what you are getting. I really never had that problem with my Omegas.

This morning a new breech plug was tried in a different Omega. Breech plug was installed at 40 inch pound torque, and it broke loose at 20 inch pound torque; was removed from the rifle.

Been reviewing the new Knight manual, and Page 41 gives some instruction to the user.

"It is advisable to use a padded vise to remove and reinstall the breech plug."

And...

"Install the breech plug. Fill the threads of the plug with Knight Breech Plug Grease to help prevent the breech plug from sticking in the receiver. Using the breech plug end of the combo tool, insert the breech plug (I) into the rear of the receiver and hand tighten the plug into the receiver until it is firmly against the back of the barrel. Be sure the breech plug is screwed all the way into the receiver. Do not over-tighten the plug or it will become difficult to remove."

So, hand tightening the bp with the rifle in a padded vise most likely results in more torque on the bp than if it is installed holding the rifle in the off hand. I stand corrected in my assumption the only torque required would be whatever the average shooter can provide while holding the rifle with one hand, tightening the bp with the other. Open for interpretation...

Back