Painting a stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading a couple threads on here lately, I've got some ideas about winter projects. One is to makeover a stock for one of my knight rifles. Its currently the std black composite, thinking of possibly going with a camo or maybe even a webbing type finish.

I have never painted a stock...wanted to get some tips and pointers from some of you who may have before. My main concern is not making it look good...I'm more concerned with it being a durable finish. I would assume that has to do with the prep. ? I've seen they have plastic specific paints now as well.

Any advice is appreciated. Pics if you have any that you've done would also be cool to see. :yeah: :yeah:

I did this several years ago. Thorough cleaning with alcohol. 3 base coats of Krylon spray paint for plastic. Accent colors daubed on with a crumpled Walmart type bag. Final seal with light coat of urethane spray. Still wearing well.

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

I have painted a number of guns. Some turned out good, a few great, and a couple were epic fails. The key is the prep. I use rubbing alcohol on the stock and then a light sanding then rubbing alcohol again. Krylon fusion is good stuff that's ment for plastics for the paint. A little coat of matte clear over the top helps with duribility. That Krylon webbing is fun and easy to work with, go for it.

Only one Ive painted was a knight stock on another project. I painted the whole thing with rustoleum bedliner. Works great on the stock, just OK on the metal. I didnt know how that project would pan out, and didnt want to invest too much on cosmetics. Its an easy touch up, and really held up well on the stock. Main reason to paint an already black plastic was the filler areas where the old safety was, old recoil lug screw, and some fitting in the barrel channel. (barrel is still free floating, I just straightened the sides a bit)

DSC00486_zps90053875.jpg

Thanks. Have any of you used that webbing spray paint? Looking online at some pictures, it looks pretty cool.

Was also thinking about looking at the textured type paint.

Squeeze said:
Only one Ive painted was a knight stock on another project. I painted the whole thing with rustoleum bedliner. Works great on the stock, just OK on the metal. I didnt know how that project would pan out, and didnt want to invest too much on cosmetics. Its an easy touch up, and really held up well on the stock. Main reason to paint an already black plastic was the filler areas where the old safety was, old recoil lug screw, and some fitting in the barrel channel. (barrel is still free floating, I just straightened the sides a bit)

DSC00486_zps90053875.jpg

Squeeze what was that project gun. I remember reading about it but I cannot remember the details.

If I do, it would probably be a .32 that gun came out so light, im sure I could match it with a .32 and a tapered 3/4 barrel. Could probably be about 6# finished. It would probably be a 30 twist or faster. I thought for a while about a .45 fast twist, but I already have a few now in 18-22 twist .45. Its actually a decent action, once I learned how to tune it. But only worth it for something not already commercially available. (outside the realm of a white or knight plunger.. for now, but they are getting more and more rare) I definitely would recommend Oregon Barrels, or The gun works for Smith/machining work. They did Shawn's.32 and had it done in a very short time also.

Squeeze said:
If I do, it would probably be a .32 that gun came out so light, im sure I could match it with a .32 and a tapered 3/4 barrel. Could probably be about 6# finished. It would probably be a 30 twist or faster. I thought for a while about a .45 fast twist, but I already have a few now in 18-22 twist .45. Its actually a decent action, once I learned how to tune it. But only worth it for something not already commercially available. (outside the realm of a white or knight plunger.. for now, but they are getting more and more rare) I definitely would recommend Oregon Barrels, or The gun works for Smith/machining work. They did Shawn's.32 and had it done in a very short time also.
Yes they did. I am contemplating using that Allen with a tapered Oregon for another 32 build too, 30twist, 7/8 or 3/4, tapered to maybe .600 @24"from the action or whatever they would say is the smallest at the muzzle they would make. :think: Mine came out heavier than I like for hunting but it was my first custom and still shoots great so it may be a range toy before long. :wink: I still have a nice Black Walnut blank to carve my own stock.

As for painting a stock I have only tried one and it did not work so well. :( Could not get the paint (several types tried) to dry fully and cure, even after 2 weeks of sitting you could scape it off with your nails. Ended up sending mine to a guy that had to put the thing in an Etching tank to get the oils out of it, then baked it dry, then painted it with some type of textured epoxy like finish he was making, then baked it on. Came out good but last time I looked he took his web site down. :(

03mossy said:
I have painted a number of guns. Some turned out good, a few great, and a couple were epic fails. The key is the prep. I use rubbing alcohol on the stock and then a light sanding then rubbing alcohol again. Krylon fusion is good stuff that's ment for plastics for the paint. A little coat of matte clear over the top helps with duribility. That Krylon webbing is fun and easy to work with, go for it.

mossy, 2 questions...

What type of clear did you use over the fusion? I've read mixed reports.
Also, I can't seem to find the webbing spray...do you happen to know if its still available?

My main concern is for the finish to be pretty durable. I'll try and do the best prep work I can, but don't want to use or mix the wrong products, and end up botching the job. Thx :yeah:

Mike- I just used a krylon brand matte clear. Ill see if I can take a pic of it tomorrow.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/KRY601.html?gc ... rayAKhMHMI

There is a link to the black webbing. I bought the black, silver, and white from joanns years ago but looks like they just have gold now. When you do get the webbing just practice on a board till you get the effect you want. I found what works the best is hang the stock horizontal and shoot the webbing above it from 3-4 feet away and let the webbing fall on it. It's really kinda fun and you'll be looking for more things to Web lol.

03mossy said:
Mike- I just used a krylon brand matte clear. Ill see if I can take a pic of it tomorrow.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/KRY601.html?gc ... rayAKhMHMI

There is a link to the black webbing. I bought the black, silver, and white from joanns years ago but looks like they just have gold now. When you do get the webbing just practice on a board till you get the effect you want. I found what works the best is hang the stock horizontal and shoot the webbing above it from 3-4 feet away and let the webbing fall on it. It's really kinda fun and you'll be looking for more things to Web lol.

Thanks Mossy. Yeah, post up some pics if you have any. Like to see how some of your stuff turned out :yeah:

If you google paint a stock, theres a bunch of info and tutorials on how to get different textures using patterns, natural vegetation, netting etc. Some are OK (brownells, some professionals) and some you just click out after a few seconds (utube kids, etc) there are a bunch of spray can colors with texture, but it seems like without a finisher coat, most wear off after a few seasons. I have refinished stocks, but mostly wood and restained and finished or oiled

They sell the webbing paint, as well as a couple of textured paints in spray cans here at the local Ace Hardware store.

For a beat up stock some sanding to remove any shine then the Rust-OL Em if black is your preference a durable long lasting finish but it's not worth a crap for your PU bedliner

Latest posts

Back