Load Recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forrest-hunter

Reaction score
Have finally decided to start shooting a 58 cal tc thunderhawk I bought from Cabelas years ago. I changed the breechplug to accept 209 primers. Have some round balls and variety of lead bullets including some I made with a Lee mold (will use crisco to lub.)

I don't have any experience with a 58cal ML, but looking forward to some range results and pictures. Good luck getting it ready!!

forrest-hunter said:
Have finally decided to start shooting a 58 cal tc thunderhawk I bought from Cabelas years ago. I changed the breechplug to accept 209 primers. Have some round balls and variety of lead bullets including some I made with a Lee mold (will use crisco to lub.)

Might send a PM to Cayuga - he has a ton of experience - he might even have a Thunderhawk

I had a pair of them years a go, I shot PRB with 80 grains of powder and it worked well in the 1-38 twist I also shot the slit sabot with the felt wad on it in the 50 caliber one but only the PRB in the 54.

shot rifle - winds where very high so only shot it but did not sight in - will try again when I go back to ranch - have also ordered some 58 cal sabots to try -
rifling 1-48" so should shot everything - was using 80gr 777 + 209 777 primers - no problems - rifle easy to clean - wii repost when I finally sight in

Would love to have one in 58cal. I have the Firehawk in 50 and its fun to shoot.

Back