cva accura mr accuracy question and how to contact cva

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpron

Reaction score
so I recently got an an accura mr. I cannot get this thing to shoot at all. in the book it says use white hots and power belts. not being a fan of either I tried them any way. terrible. I tried 777, and also 2 kinds of American pioneer powder. along with 2 horandy bullets, 2 power belts, and 2 kinds of tc shock wave. after all of this I removed the scope and mount, put new lock tite on everything. trying it all again, then changed scope, tried it all again. and before the bashing starts I am shooting off of a lead sled on a heavy table. I am not the problem. I am getting 6-15 inch groups at 50 yards. I am removing breech plug and swabbing after every shot, and doing a total clean out before trying different loads/bullets. so I tried to contact cva, there is now way I can figure out to reach an actual person, and no response to my email. any ideas on either the shooting aspect or how to get ahold of them?

Mine was finicky as well. I could not get a 250grn FTX to shoot at all with 100grns by volume. I put in 110grns by volume of BH209 and a 250grn Bloodline and it shot really good. Less then an inch. But over 100 yards I'm struggling with accuracy as well. I'll be curious what they tell you.

Your post is surprising. Most CVA'S shoot good with just about anything you feed them. If you can't get any better groups then that after checking everything out in certainly seems there's a problem with the gun. Check the forend action screw. Are you getting any blowback?

surprises me to. I did a lot of research before getting it and thought I was getting the best. I am going to recheck all screws just to make sure.

yeah I heard that to, when I tried calling them all I got was a recording saying it had to be returned within 2 weeks of purchase if it wasn't the most accurate ml you've shot. well here in wi I cannot just go shot ml everyday to see how accurate it is.

jpron said:
yeah I heard that to, when I tried calling them all I got was a recording saying it had to be returned within 2 weeks of purchase if it wasn't the most accurate ml you've shot. well here in wi I cannot just go shot ml everyday to see how accurate it is.

It's 2 weeks if you want your money back. You can send it back for not being accurate at any time for repair. They might send another gun, or replace the barrel.

I never ever use email to get something done. I always call.

Did you use a drill to clean the BP? Were you swabbing out the crud ring?

Yep that's the number. Press 2 for cva, then 5 options with not a one letting me talk to a human. I shot 15 times this afternoon. First 4 shots were about a 2inch group. Then it just spread out from there. I throughly cleaned between every shot. Removed the crud ring. Still not good. What powder is everyone using, what would be the cleanest?

Are the bullets going down the barrel tight, did you try a heavier bullet, I use 300 grain bullets with bh209 at a volume of 100

First off my ACCURA MR with the nitride barrel likes a fouled barrel to start with. I use 110 grains ( by volume ) of blackhorn 209 and either the Barnes Spit Fire TEZ 290 grs or the Hornady Mono Flex 250 grain bullet. The Barnes with it's blue sabot and the Mono with it's red/orange sabot. I also use Fiocchi primers.
I have no problem getting 1" groups or better at 100 yards. I don't have to adjust my scope for either bullet. Both are right on.
I know it's expensive but you can't beat Black horn 209 for accuracy and consistency. You don't have to swab between shots at all. I've shot as many as 45/50 rounds and never had a problem. Loading was just as easy from the first to the last. ( I weigh each and every load on a grain scale to 78.0/1 grains and the accuracy and consistency will surprise you).
I do pull the breech plug after 6 to 8 shots to clear it from carbon build up. ( Some will say you don't have to do that but I've gotten into that habit and I still do it at the range today). I've NEVER had a Misfire or Hang fire with this procedure. Some will also say you don't don't have to shoot 1" groups if your a hunter but in my opinion, you do. I want to know exactly where my bullet will impact the game. We owe it to the game to make killing shots.

GOOD LUCK
Ray

Something else you might check is the length of the screws on your scope mount. It's possible that they could be marginally too long and even if they and the mount appears to be tight, the screws could be bottomed out and still leave the mount loose enough to move under recoil. Also, even though you you said you are using a lead sled, I have to ask, are you just resting the forearm of the rifle in it or are you securely holding the rifle down, secure on the front rest, and also pulling the rear of the lead sled back, tight and secure to your shoulder?

BH209 is easily the cleanest burning powder and also the most consistent, IMO, however it requires a special BH209 breech plug or modified stock breech plug to ignite reliably in a CVA. No need to swab at all when using it but you still will need to clean the flash channel of the breech plug with a drill bit every 5-6 shots. My CVA Accura V2 is not really picky on finding accurate loads but the most accurate load I have ever shot from it, with out a doubt, is a Hornady .430 265gr FTX bullet in a smooth green Harvester sabot loaded over 100 gr of BH 209 and ignited with a Winchester 209 primer. This will consistently shoot one ragged hole at 100 yds if I do my part. The Hornady .458 350gr FTX in an orange MMP sabot over 110 gr of BH209 is also extremely accurate for me.

How long are you waiting between shots? Are you using a drill to clean the BP?

I just called the number and got right through. Press 2 for CVA. Then press 5. Then press 0.

Simple.

I was going to post with some suggestions but since you got through to CVA I think I will wait. I hope you get satisfaction and don't get to frustrated.

I am not cleaning the breech plug with a drill. I have never heard of that before. I have an old tc that I could shoot 20-30 times and not touch any thing on it. than run a bore snake through it once and right back to shooting. is this breech plug thing something that needs to be done on all cva's ? I borrowed a friends tc encore to use in co a few years back, never had any trouble like this with that gun either. are these newer cva's really that touchy? as far as the lead sled, I am holding it down tight. just for a rough idea, I shoot a tc venture 300 win mag and will take 3 shots at 100 yards and all 3 holes will touch. that's whats frustrating about this. I was doing some reading and someone said their gun shoots better with a dirty barrel but must remove the crud ring, how do you do that? thanks for all the replies.

bp_diagram.jpg

breach_kit.png

NOTE

T/C, Traditions. CVA using the Blackhorn breech plug and most Knight breech plugs use a 1/8″ drill bit
For the CVA non-quick release breech plug (REQUIRING A TOOL TO REMOVE) use a #32 drill bit. Numbered drill bits are machinist bits and can be found at various online supply houses like ENCO, or search “numbered drill bits” for more

A 3mm bit works for the standard CVA QRBP.

IMO its best to get one size smaller too if the plug has a lot of carbon. Use the smaller one first then use the correct size for your plug.

jpron said:
I am not cleaning the breech plug with a drill. I have never heard of that before. I have an old tc that I could shoot 20-30 times and not touch any thing on it. than run a bore snake through it once and right back to shooting. is this breech plug thing something that needs to be done on all cva's ? I borrowed a friends tc encore to use in co a few years back, never had any trouble like this with that gun either. are these newer cva's really that touchy? as far as the lead sled, I am holding it down tight. just for a rough idea, I shoot a tc venture 300 win mag and will take 3 shots at 100 yards and all 3 holes will touch. that's whats frustrating about this. I was doing some reading and someone said their gun shoots better with a dirty barrel but must remove the crud ring, how do you do that? thanks for all the replies.

The Encore shared the same plug as the Omega did. Your plug in your MR is not even close to being as good as those plugs for reliability and ease of use. Once you get your accuracy issue resolved I would have your plug modified by Ronlaughlin and you'll be much better off in the long run. I think you just need to try some different sabots and find a load it likes. My MR was a little finicky as well but shoots really good at 100 yards with a 250grn Bloodline and a harvester short black sabot with BH209 powder.

Latest posts

Back