value of a thompson pro hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donny.brooke

Reaction score
Looking at a stainless pro hunter in camo stock with a 50 cal 28 inch stainless barrel. Has a nikon omega muzzle loader scope mounted in cheap rings and base. Gun is used but looks pretty good. He is asking 875 canadian dollars shipped im thinking more like 800 shipped. Anything good or bad about the gun or scope and is the value of 800 canadian realistic.

With current exchange rate that makes it around 637.00 US. That is around the going price. Now after you buy it, the gun will need a trigger job, upgraded hammer spring, hinge pin change, much better bases and rings to achieve consistent accuracy. All that will cost around 150.00. Right now Midway is clearing out their Knight Mountaineer's for 619.00. Much better trigger, IMO more accurate out of the box, plus new gun warranty. But to each his own

rangerod said:
Midway. Mountaineer- $569.59. 3 left. If I had the money.
Damn I have seen used Mountaniers going for that $$.

Great deal..

Just DON'T buy any gun EVER without holding it and inspecting it first. The gun you are looking at has an average asking price. Don't be in a hurry! There are Pro Hunter's aplenty out there, be patient, hit gun shows, shop around. As far as one post opinion here, just because it is a TC does not mean it will need the trigger job, hinge pin, and spring. These comments usually come from fans of some "other" brand. Read Mike Bellm's articles about TC and learn a ton of info about TC pros and cons.

Holding and inspecting a gun before buying is certainly a good idea. If the op is considering the Mountaineer I can't imagine where he could handle and examine it. Sometimes just isn't an option.

My buddy has a pro hunter and it feels great. Part of the reason for the pro hunter is i want to be able to put a rifle barrel on it sometimes without buying another complete rifle. I bought the pro hunter 50 cal with mounts and a nikon omega for 800 shipped Canadian funds. Cabelas sells the pro hunter 50 cals in camo for 949 canadian funds plus 12 percent tax and 30 shipping. The scope is 400 bucks new and mounts lets say 30 bucks.

Sounds to me like you did pretty well. New to your doorstep would have been easily over 1000 Canadian with no scope. I hope you enjoy your new gun. Good luck with it.

Pro hunters are nice but I second the Mountaineer I own both however my Encores are smokeless 45 Calibers when I had a ML'er barrel on an Encore blow back was terrible that could eventually corrode some parts of the encore frame

Latest posts

Back