Traditions E-Bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
Just picked up a winter project. The gun is a Traditions marked E-bolt 209. I picked it up from a friend very cheap. Someone shot it and never cleaned it. I have as much of the rust out of the barrel as I can get. The breech plug threads were rusted, after freeing the breech plug they seem to be solid. Cleaned up the bolt and trigger and they are ok. I am waiting on a breech plug. I hope the one I ordered fits.

Anyone have any experience with these. I have only owned Knight inlines and T&C side hammers. I hope my daughter can use it next deer season. It seems pretty cheaply made so my expectations are low. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks as always.

i have a lightning which looks to be the same gun with #11 cap ignition. unlike most spanish made plunger inlines your action is held in the stock by 2 screws. i free floated the barrel, quite a bit of material needs to be removed from the front of the stock which pushes on the barrel. the bolt is cock on close. my barrel loads tight so you might want to start out with harvester crush rib sabots. i also found all corners around the bolt area to be very sharp, so i chamfered them.

mines a 1;32 twist i expect yours is 1;28, so any comparison is kinda apples and oranges. i have used olde E, t7, pyrodex rs and P no problems with ignition.

Thanks, didn't know they came in different twist. Just got the tool in the mail and was able to clean up the old breech plug. It passed the cap and patch test. Hopefully I will get a bit of time to see how it shoots tomorrow. I have some Barnes 250 expanders and triple 7 loose powder to play with.

Shot it yesterday. Found some 44 XTP 240's. Shot them ok. The gun shoots really dirty. Six rounds and there was junk everywhere. I love old Knight plungers and thought they were dirty, but this takes it to a whole new level.

mine is #11 cap fired, just to have the option in case caps supplies become short i ordered the 209 kit. the kit came with a different striker and spring along with new breech plug. the new breech plug could use a 209 nipple or #11 cap nipple. the #11 caps are much cleaner, just like in my tc black diamond. i have not found any advantage to 209's in plunger types, and i my opinion they are much dirtier.

if you have the thunder dome 2 piece breech plug [A1403] you can just order the #11 8mm thread nipple A1407. if you have the one piece plug [A1413] you need the 2 parts. of course you can always stick with the 209, if you don't object to the cleanup.

Thanks, I think I'll just leave it alone. I will keep it as a spare for hunting guest and for the kids. Only have $40 in it with the purchase and a breech plug removal tool I ordered.

Back