Traditions Vortek Strikerfire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whacked

Reaction score
Looooong time lurker. Finally managed to register.

Anyhow, I noticed a lack of Traditions owners/users here.
Last year I finally got my first inline, and like the subject said, the Vortek Strikerfire.
Initially I had it set up with the fiber optic sights but once I got a few more $$ I now have a Vortex Diamondback 2-8 HP mounted.

The fit & finish of my Vortek was very good considering what I paid ($300 and now I see Cabelas has it for $150 more). Actually its pretty dang good even at a higher price range. Soft touch stock has a nice feel but IMNSHO not crucial. haven't had sweaty hands on it to test if slippery. the TAC2 trigger is sweeeeeeeeet! The rifle is light, almost too light. its better with the scope but before, 6 shots of 110gr powder and my shoulder is done. about on par with my Mosin Nagant M44 and thats a mule. Still working on loads but play with 90-100gr and can go all day.

My only grip I believe is due to primers. specifically the Winchester 209. Think I now know why they were on sale and had a coating of dust on them. Uggg. Had a few FTF but lit off on 2nd go. They foul up the locking mechanism. I finally burned thru that flat of 209 and need to get more. Most definitely will NOT be Winchester

I emailed Traditions about that and here is what Chris Gosselin had to say (kind of fits in the Fit/Finish aspect of the rifle)

"After 8 to 12 shots depending on the load you are shooting, fouling can build up on the breech face. Wiping the breech and rear face of the breech plug should be all that needed to keep the gun locking up correctly. The tolerances are tight when the gun locks up, excessive fouling can effect this lockup and cocking of the firing mechanism."

He is correct, the locking mechanism is very tight. i've since started using a q-tip and #13 or moose milk and swab that area after every 2-3 shots and been great since. What happens, is because of the blowback fouling, it doesn't lock up entirely. it sounds like its locked. Feels like its locked. Cannot tell in any way thats its not locked until you try to arm.
on the plus side of the stikerfire system, the scope can be mounted low. I like that, feels more natural and can get a good cheekweld. moving the strikerfire seems to take a bit more effort, but thats logical as it doesn't have the leverage of a hammer. Due to the safety feature I have to roll my thumb at the end or else the safety will disarm the gun. may just be my fat fingers too.

Overall, for 3 bills its a dang good firearm. I just need to go out and shoot it more.
Actually need more sabots, and better primers, and no rain.... maybe tomorrow..... hmmmm.

I would wonder if your misfires are actually due to the Winchester primers or to something else. I have used literally thousands of Winchester 209 primers in shotguns and muzzleloaders and have never had a single one fail to fire with the first strike. Did the primers actually fail to fire on the first strike and then fire with the second? I know what the strikerfire system is and how it works, but beyond that I am not at all familiar with it, however, I would be more inclined to wonder about a light striker hit before I would pass a misfire off to old primers, especially if they did fire with another strike. As long as primers are kept dry, they will still function perfectly for years.

I own a strikerfire myself and have no problems with primer blow back or fouling the action at all, there is very little primer residue on the face of the breach plug even after 15 consecutive shots without cleaning. I do shoot CCI 209 mags with BH209 powder but like the above poster stated Win primers are good primers. I would try another brand of primers and I would be surprised if you didn't have the same problems as I think it's a rifle issue and not a primer issue. I do like I do with my over under shotguns and apply a little grease to the hinge point of the muzzy as well as where there is metal to metal contact just to keep things running smooth.

The Winchester primers ftf first try. Went on second.
Im getting a good bit of fouling using them and 777
I would like to try BH209 but locally its either 777, pyrodex, and one store has JSgold.
As soon as I can I want to try other primers.

What is wierd is that after the ftf day i went home, cleaned it up then popped 10 primers in a row no problems. At this point im not ruling out user error. Dont know why i got those ftf but thankfully have not experienced it since.

What is annoying is not locking up to arm the strikerfire system. But like i said. Q-tip and cleaner inside receiver at locking lug and its good to go. Takes a few shots for that too happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Checked my numbers on my striker fire and I have 100 rounds through the rifle with zero misfires, shot 22 rounds out of it one day with no issues. Even with 22 rounds I had very little fouling on the breech plug and zero fouling in the action that would affect the rifle from locking closed. Maybe you have a bad batch of primers.

How many rounds have you fired out of you rifle? Have you ever taken a drill bit that fits in the flash hole from the primer side of the breech plug and hand turned the bit to remove the primer fouling in the flash hole channel? I do this after every shooting session and always get some crud out of the channel, if left to build up the crud will start to restrict the flash hole channel and you will get more blow back. I also use a welding tip cleaner to clean the small hole at the end of the flash hole channel.

As for your light primer strikes I wonder if you striker spring isn't what it should be, have you called Traditions? I tried to blow up my rifle and found Traditions customer service good so far.

Only have the 2 flats of Winchester 209. Actually one now. Maybe 60rnds fired total.
After every shot I pull the breechplug & run a wet then dry patch. Then burn a primer before reloading, so 2 primers per shot. Flashhole is thoroughly cleaned after every range session.
I havent yet, but plan on buying different brand primers. It could be the Winchester are a tad small for the primer pocket.
Could also be the primer pocket is a bit oversized and would need a new breechplug.
Just speculation until i try different primers.

Didnt get to take it to the range this weekend. Did trap practice instead. In 2 weeks is a gun show. Havent been to one in years. Can get primers then rather than a 3hr round trip to a shop that sells them thats open when im not at work

And the ftf was from first flat of primers
So far the second flat hasn't been troublesome.
Just as dirty though.

Whacked said:
Only have the 2 flats of Winchester 209. Actually one now. Maybe 60rnds fired total.
After every shot I pull the breechplug & run a wet then dry patch. Then burn a primer before reloading, so 2 primers per shot. Burning 2 primers per shot and removing the breech plug isn't really necessary, If I'm going of accuracy then every few shots I run a wet patch and a few dry patches down the bore with the breech plug in to clean things up a little but buy you taking out the breech plug to clean your bore then you are removing the chance of fouling your breech plug so why pop another primer? Are you running multiple dry patches after the wet? If not you might be leaving some moisture in the bore that is causing problems with the next charge.
Flashhole is thoroughly cleaned after every range session. How are you cleaning it? I thought I was thoroughly cleaning mine with solvent and pipe cleaners until I read about the drill bit trick. Decided to give it a try on my cleaned breech plug and I had to use a pair of vise grips to turn the drill bit and cut the primer crud out of the flash channel. With as many primers as you have shot I would bet you have some crud in the flash channel.
I havent yet, but plan on buying different brand primers. It could be the Winchester are a tad small for the primer pocket.
Could also be the primer pocket is a bit oversized and would need a new breechplug.
Just speculation until i try different primers.

Didnt get to take it to the range this weekend. Did trap practice instead. In 2 weeks is a gun show. Havent been to one in years. Can get primers then rather than a 3hr round trip to a shop that sells them thats open when im not at work

Winchester primers are the longest primers. Try a different brand like Federal 209a. It might help the action to close easier.

Remington No. 209-4 (.410 bore) Primers. Lot# 419

Average length
High
Low
Extreme Spread

Remington Kleanbore 209 Muzzleloading Primers. Lot# 38

Average length
High
Low
Extreme Spread

Winchester triple se7en 209 Muzzleloading Primers. Lot# XEL010

Average length
High
Low
Extreme Spread

Winchester No. WML209 Muzzleloading Primers (tan box). Lot# WNL038

Average length
High
Low
Extreme Spread

CCI (Standard) 209 Primers (blue/silver box). Lot#AV655

Average length
High
Low
Extreme Spread

Winchester W209 Primers (blue box). Lot# YAL151

Average length
High
Low
Extreme Spread

CCI (Magnum) 209M Primers (red/silver box). Lot# AY427

Average length
High
Low
Extreme Spread

Federal 209A Primers. Lot# AV492

Average length
High
Low
Extreme Spread

Muley brought up another good point. What Win 209 primers are you shooting, muzzy primers or standard shotgun shell primers? If shooting muzzy primers switch to standard shot shell primers.

This is what I'm using:

Winchester W209 Primers (blue box). Lot# YAL151

Average length
High
Low
Extreme Spread

Going to take notes on Muleys post and pick some different primers. Even better I'll measure the pocket depth then find a primer that closely matches.

as for cleaning the flashhole, I have a old wormer that I put in a drillpress and with a polish/emery strip, touched it up so its just smaller OD than the ID of flashhole. Then cut the tip at a angle. works just like a drillbit. Its made of brass so not too worried about scoring the inside like a drillbit is capable of. For the primer pocket, old toothbrush and q-tip until its shiny.

I shot win 209 in other rifles but from the get go I have been shooting CCI 209 mags in the Vortex with the BH209 powder so I can't say anything about Win seating height. Can you tell if the primer flange is making contact with the breech plug? I know the CCI's flange sets on the breech plug tight. maybe .0050 height in difference makes a difference, we are talking the width of 2 human hairs. I say go big or stay home so why not shoot CCI mags and get the most spark for your bang.

Your breech plug cleaner sounds high tech, post a pic if you get a chance I would like to see it as it sounds like it would be less likely to score the inside of the flash channel then a drill bit and the size can be customized to just fit.

Went out this morning. Picked up some Rem kleanbore and CCI 209M primers the other day. Only used the Rem primers. 16 shots, zero issues.
00fb473302a1ec1098a88905dd8bb84c.jpg
fe086c49f2a9d11419e2a96bfe0e98a8.jpg

Looooong time lurker. Finally managed to register.

Anyhow, I noticed a lack of Traditions owners/users here.
Last year I finally got my first inline, and like the subject said, the Vortek Strikerfire.
Initially I had it set up with the fiber optic sights but once I got a few more $$ I now have a Vortex Diamondback 2-8 HP mounted.

The fit & finish of my Vortek was very good considering what I paid ($300 and now I see Cabelas has it for $150 more). Actually its pretty dang good even at a higher price range. Soft touch stock has a nice feel but IMNSHO not crucial. haven't had sweaty hands on it to test if slippery. the TAC2 trigger is sweeeeeeeeet! The rifle is light, almost too light. its better with the scope but before, 6 shots of 110gr powder and my shoulder is done. about on par with my Mosin Nagant M44 and thats a mule. Still working on loads but play with 90-100gr and can go all day.

My only grip I believe is due to primers. specifically the Winchester 209. Think I now know why they were on sale and had a coating of dust on them. Uggg. Had a few FTF but lit off on 2nd go. They foul up the locking mechanism. I finally burned thru that flat of 209 and need to get more. Most definitely will NOT be Winchester

I emailed Traditions about that and here is what Chris Gosselin had to say (kind of fits in the Fit/Finish aspect of the rifle)

"After 8 to 12 shots depending on the load you are shooting, fouling can build up on the breech face. Wiping the breech and rear face of the breech plug should be all that needed to keep the gun locking up correctly. The tolerances are tight when the gun locks up, excessive fouling can effect this lockup and cocking of the firing mechanism."

He is correct, the locking mechanism is very tight. i've since started using a q-tip and #13 or moose milk and swab that area after every 2-3 shots and been great since. What happens, is because of the blowback fouling, it doesn't lock up entirely. it sounds like its locked. Feels like its locked. Cannot tell in any way thats its not locked until you try to arm.
on the plus side of the stikerfire system, the scope can be mounted low. I like that, feels more natural and can get a good cheekweld. moving the strikerfire seems to take a bit more effort, but thats logical as it doesn't have the leverage of a hammer. Due to the safety feature I have to roll my thumb at the end or else the safety will disarm the gun. may just be my fat fingers too.

Overall, for 3 bills its a dang good firearm. I just need to go out and shoot it more.
Actually need more sabots, and better primers, and no rain.... maybe tomorrow..... hmmmm.
I finally figured out my miss fire problem. I have a striker-fire. The firing pin was not hitting center on the nipple. A new breach plug fixed the problem. I probable could of positioned the opening at 3:00 and it would of worked. Missed a 3X3 deer season, a click almost made me destroy my gun.

Latest posts

Back