cleaning and lube recomendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donny.brooke

Reaction score
Im shooting a pro hunter 50 cal stainless. Using plastic sabot hornady sst 250 grain bullets. 777 or pyrodex loose with a 209 winchester primers. Any recomendations on cleaners, lubes and or breech plug greases to use, i have a wrench type breech plug. Should i be bore buttering before every shot and after cleaning, do you load up the breech plug threads heavy with grease. Im new to this and just want to get it right and hear some ideas on how its done.

For my rifles that use pyro (or t7) I actually use TC #13 Bore Cleaner. I've had it forever and it works fine. Many folks use Windex also. A solvent is not necessary with those powders. When I am done shooting and go to clean...I always pull the BP and push a jag with a dry cleaning patch through from breech to muzzle and knock down/out much of the fouling first. Then I use a brush with cleaner, then jag with patches until clean/dry. Then lightly oil.
I soak my BP in Windex with Ammonia, it will soften up the fouling and then I proceed to clean it. Don't forget to clean out the flash channel, often the fouling gets real hard and can affect your ignition.

As far as the BP... some folks use tape, some grease. I can't comment on what might work best on that particular model. I use tape on my BH209 rifles, and grease the plug on my plunger rifles that shoot pyrodex in. I would think either way would work fine. When I use Breech plug grease, I just squirt a little dab on the threads, and work it into all of them evenly around the plug. Not a huge heavy load, just enough to lightly cover the plug threads. Sabotloader has a good post on taping a breech plug also. Search for it.

As far as shooting goes, if you shoot BH209, you do not need to swab between shots. If you use Pyro or T7 you definitely should. They foul up heavier, and T7 in particular will get a worse crud ring that if you don't swab will give you fits. You don't need to lube the bore, just swab it out. You can use a jag/patch dampened with Windex or Alcohol, or heck..even a spit patch will work. You are essentially just knocking down the heavy fouling between shots, so you can load the next bullet ok, and your shooting is on a fairly consistent barrel foul. You are not fully cleaning the barrel between shots. Put a damp patch on your jag, run it up and down a few times, turn it over, do same thing and you are good for your next shot. If your patches are not too damp, you can get away with just that. If your bore is still wet, you may want to run a clean dry patch afterwards to make sure you don't have excess moisture in there when you load your next shot. In a hunting situation, if a fast follow up shot is needed...you can skip the swab and load it up. If you don't need a quick reload, its always best to swab imo.

If you need a jag, I'd recommend getting a SpinJag ... excellent for cleaning / loading.

Spend some time in the New to Muzzleloading section here...several good pinned posts with lots of good info. Hope this helps some. :)

Back