ATTN: knight bolt gun owners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just fitted my latest Mountaineer and it needed about .021 for contact and .024 for about .003 crush. this is the most of several I've seen yet. usually 1-2 .005 shims does the trick. Does anyone make a bushing tighter than .030? Do you have both sizes? (disc, Mountaineer/UL)

Update on breech.
Breech plugs are machined and sent for heat treatment. Im expected them very soon.
Im like the rest of you very anxious to get them in my hands. At this point i haven't seen one yet . I drew up a blueprint and discussed it with dave at Lehigh and let him do his magic.
Lehigh is a very busy place and im not one to call and ck on progress..
I trust dave and am patiently awaiting there arrival.

Per bushing question. Ive tried.025,.030,.040 and believe.030 is perfect size for breech plug design per flame channel volume..

Thanks for inquiries and hope to have them soon.

breech plugs are officially in my hands and needless to say dave at lehigh makes a high quality part.

now available a true custom fit breech plug for all knight bolt action rifles with bare primer bolt or lehigh conversion bolt. No more shims, No more headspace issues, No more stuck cleaning patches on 45 cal and No more vent liners to replace. and 100% blackhorn compatible

I have been working with many very experienced knight bolt owners and have what we feel is a great design.

The new plug will be produced by Lehigh Defense which produces a total quality product. It will be made from17-4 stainless steel and heat treated plug will also utilize a tungsten carbide .031 bushing that will last well over 1,000 shots and beyond ..
Bushing is easily replaceable if ever needed .

Production run of breech plug will be made with overall length in excess of installed length for custom fitment.

Rifle owner will need to supply me with breech plug face sealing surface to primer face sealing surface dimension. To obtain proper primer crush (headspace).

Step 1:
Choose your preferred primer and measure primer length with dial caliper. Example .299

Step2:
Install primer in existing  breech plug and measure overall length from breech face to primer battery cup surface . Example 1.889

Step3:
Install breech plug in gun with same test primer . (Please remove firing pin assembly from bolt body for this step) next install bolt handle and close bolt completely.
Remove primer and measure primer length if primer is crushed by more than .002  example.297
You have the 3 dimensions in steps 1-2-3 to have your custom fit breech made and delivered .

If not proceed to step4.

Step 4:
Put primer back in bolt and take a feeler guage and place .002 feeler between rear of bolt and action where bolt handle contacts action when closed to headspace primer .
continue this process increasing feeler guage until you obtain.002 primer crush. 

So now you will have possibly 4 measurements.

Example
step1 = .299
step2 = 1.889
step3 = .297 Done if .299 go to step 4
step4 = .005 feeler guage installed you obtain primer crush measurement .297
Done ready to order your custom fit knight bolt rifle breech plug.
Plug will sell for $80 shipped to your door including tungsten carbide bushing and lock ring
If prefer you can fit plug yourself for $70 or send rifle to me for breech install for $125 which will include breech plug , installation and return shipping.

Thanks,
BESTILL CREATIONS
[email protected]

That's one fine looking plug and looks like it will get the job done. will have to get sizes for you. witch ones do you have the plug for just the mountaineer and ulites ?

bestill said:
breech plugs are officially in my hands and needless to say dave at lehigh makes a high quality part.

now available a true custom fit breech plug for all knight bolt action rifles with bare primer bolt or lehigh conversion bolt. No more shims, No more headspace issues, No more stuck cleaning patches on 45 cal and No more vent liners to replace. and 100% blackhorn compatible

I have been working with many very experienced knight bolt owners and have what we feel is a great design.

The new plug will be produced by Lehigh Defense which produces a total quality product. It will be made from17-4 stainless steel and heat treated plug will also utilize a tungsten carbide .031 bushing that will last well over 1,000 shots and beyond ..
Bushing is easily replaceable if ever needed .

Production run of breech plug will be made with overall length in excess of installed length for custom fitment.

Rifle owner will need to supply me with breech plug face sealing surface to primer face sealing surface dimension. To obtain proper primer crush (headspace).

Step 1:
Choose your preferred primer and measure primer length with dial caliper. Example .299

Step2:
Install primer in existing  breech plug and measure overall length from breech face to primer battery cup surface . Example 1.889

Step3:
Install breech plug in gun with same test primer . (Please remove firing pin assembly from bolt body for this step) next install bolt handle and close bolt completely.
Remove primer and measure primer length if primer is crushed by more than .002  example.297
You have the 3 dimensions in steps 1-2-3 to have your custom fit breech made and delivered .

If not proceed to step4.

Step 4:
Put primer back in bolt and take a feeler guage and place .002 feeler between rear of bolt and action where bolt handle contacts action when closed to headspace primer .
continue this process increasing feeler guage until you obtain.002 primer crush. 

So now you will have possibly 4 measurements.

Example
step1 = .299
step2 = 1.889
step3 = .297 Done if .299 go to step 4
step4 = .005 feeler guage installed you obtain primer crush measurement .297
Done ready to order your custom fit knight bolt rifle breech plug.
Plug will sell for $80 shipped to your door including tungsten carbide bushing and lock ring
If prefer you can fit plug yourself for $70 or send rifle to me for breech install for $125 which will include breech plug , installation and return shipping.

Thanks,
BESTILL CREATIONS
[email protected]

So far response to new plugs has been great!

Many have been sold as is so gun owner can fit themselves but of the ones ive fitted here's some interesting numbers.

Mountaineer
Ulite
Disc

The range on the Ultralites is truly unacceptable. They obviously do not know how to design and manufacture a Bolt ML to be blowback free.

Are those the OAL measurements from the Breech plugs that you received or sent out?

Seems to me that Knight should be reimbursing owners for a much needed repair, that is caused by Knight's inability or carelessness to do the job right from the beginning. These are EXPENSIVE guns & to be honest it really speaks volumes about the company nowadays.

I think I may have this done to my gun & then submit the bill to them.

Knight builds a high end product but gets VERY sloppy with the ignition. I'm on my 2nd Mountaineer & yes it has blowback just like the first one I owned did. I don't understand how they can get so sloppy on one part of the gun. I've been down this road with Knight before & they were worse than useless when it came to fixing my problem (on my dime that time too & the gun came back with the exact same problem) I had to send it to a staffer to get it fixed!

Greg

bestill said:
OAL with.299 primer install
I take it that measurement of the one you send out, is that correct?

IF that is so then the variance must be in the depth they cut the barrel for the BP since Lehigh makes the BP's. I would assume that Lehigh would not allow that much variation in the BPs. I can understand the BP's prior to Lehigh being off. IF the variances are in the Breech of the barrel, then they need so get someone that knows how to run a lathe. I would have though that those barrels would be cut on a CNC lathe. My cousin has his own shop and he has 5 CNC Lathes, one is a lathe mill combo, and 2 CNC Mills. I was at his shop a couple months ago and he was stressing out trying to figure out why he was getting a .0005 variation on one lathe! If one of his has a .030 variance he would be out of business.

There breech plugs are very consistent

The variation comes from depth seat in barrel,
Bolt length from face to back of handle and seating area of bolt handle to action tang the bolt locks against.
Knight changed bolt dimensions couple times also.

bestill said:
There breech plugs are very consistent

The variation comes from depth seat in barrel,
Bolt length from face to back of handle and seating area of bolt handle to action tang the bolt locks against.
Knight changed bolt dimensions couple times also.
That is what I thought. Still a shame the variations.

Bestill,

By the way I got my plug installed and shot it last Sunday. Worked fantastic! 2 thumbs up! :yeah: :yeah:

Back