ATTN: knight bolt gun owners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestill

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
Soon to be available a true custom fit breech plug for all knight bolt action rifles. No more shims, No more headspace issues, No more stuck cleaning patches on 45 cal and No more vent liners to replace.

I have been working with many very experienced knight bolt owners and have what we feel is a great design.

The new plug will be produced by Lehigh Defense which produces a total quality product. It will be made from17-4 stainless steel and heat treated plug will also utilize a tungsten carbide .031 bushing that will last well over 1,000 shots and beyond ..
Bushing is easily replaceable if ever needed .

Production run of breech plug will be made with overall length in excess of installed length.

Rifle owner will need to supply me with breech plug face sealing surface to primer face sealing surface dimension. To obtain proper primer crush (headspace).

Step 1:
Choose your preferred primer and measure primer length with dial caliper. Example .299

Step2:
Install primer in existing  breech plug and measure overall length from breech face to primer battery cup surface . Example 1.889

Step3:
Install breech plug in gun with same test primer . (Please remove firing pin assembly from bolt body for this step) next install bolt handle and close bolt completely.
Remove primer and measure primer length if primer is crushed by more than .002  example.297
You have the 3 dimensions in steps 1-2-3 to have your custom fit breech made and delivered .

If not proceed to step4.

Step 4:
Put primer back in bolt and take a feeler guage and place .002 feeler between rear of bolt and action where bolt handle contacts action when closed to headspace primer .
continue this process increasing feeler guage until you obtain.002 primer crush. 

So now you will have possibly 4 measurements.

Example
step1 = .299
step2 = 1.889
step3 = .297 Done if .299 step 4
step4 = .005 feeler guage installed you obtain primer crush measurement .297
Done ready to order your custom fit knight bolt rifle breech plug.
Plug will sell for $80 shipped to your door and should be available in 6-8 weeks possibly soon depending on production schedule .
If prefer you can fit plug yourself for $70 or send rifle to me for breech install for $125 which will include breech plug , installation and return shipping.

Thanks,
BESTILL CREATIONS
[email protected]

OK
I'm officially intrigued. But need a bit more clarification.
Supply the needed measurements and you can get a custom made plug for $80.00. This is ready to screw in and go shoot?

"Fit the plug your self for $70.00." Is this an additional charge or a raw plug that needs machining/adjusting to make fit?

Or: (I'm pretty sure I get this option.) Send the Knight bolt action rifle in and for $125.00 you get the custom fitted plug installed and returned to owner ready to shoot.

If I can supply a few measurements and get a custom made ready to screw in plug for $80.00 I'll probably be a customer for at least one and maybe two plugs.

Thanks
Scott

Are you machining primer pockets to custom measurements, or shimming them?

I'd be interested in one which I can shim up myself if necessary.

IIRC the length difference on plugs is on the powder side. Look at the Extreme vs Mountaineer plugs. Machining the plugs takes place on the powder side so the same plug can be used to upgrade either an Extreme or Mountaineer. Primer side is not altered at all.

I would like to mention one of the main differences between the original Lehigh plug besides the bushing. The powder side will no longer have the 50cal recess. When you push a 45cal jag down a 45cal bore it will no longer go past the rifling into the recess. Ive had jags catch at the end of the rifling when doing a quick dry swab before the drive home from the range. A quick swab sometimes turned into a several minute ordeal to remove the jag and breach plug.

BTW there is no need to remove the bushing for cleaning. I actually advise against since they are a near press fit. Shooting sabot loads you should get well over 1000 shots on a bushing. Even sabotless BH209 loads (upto 120gr) should last 1000 shots or more.

All machining to get custom fit will be removed from the front of the breech plug sealing surface to fit any knight bolt.

With proper measurements and$80 you will receive a plug with bushing ready to screw in rifle and shoot..

$70 you will get a breech with bushing that needs fitted to your rifle.. little lathe work and your set.

$125 send barreled action and bolt
Plug assembly will be fitted and returned ready.

Yes bushing comes with new breech plug.

WTM45 said:
Are you machining primer pockets to custom measurements, or shimming them?

I'd be interested in one which I can shim up myself if necessary.

With proper measurements the plug will not need shims.

The plugs will be machined on front sealing surface to obtain proper headspace

bestill said:
All machining to get custom fit will be removed from the front of the breech plug sealing surface to fit any knight bolt.

With proper measurements and$80 you will receive a plug with bushing ready to screw in rifle and shoot..

$70 you will get a breech with bushing that needs fitted to your rifle.. little lathe work and your set.

$125 send barreled action and bolt
Plug assembly will be fitted and returned ready.

Yes bushing comes with new breech plug.
Thanks for the clarification!

I am wandering how many parts are there in the complete breech plug?

Breech plug
Tungsten carbide bushing
Lock ring

Pictures coming soon

after your research, where is the variance in specs? barrel seat to bolt, bolt itself, or a few thou tolerance on everything added up? What was the ES for models, and how tight are the manufacturing tolerances?
Think ill try one on the new rifle coming, and maybe a .50 I just shimmed one, and .005 came up just short (Now I wish I'd tried it a while first) and .010 gives me about a .005 crush. It works well and clean, but now I'm getting the occasional bulged sticky primer on the way out.
On a side note, the last batch of shims I got from Luke were too loose in my Knight BP. everything seemed~ .241-.243. I had to order .248 (spring steel screw shoulder lengthening shims from Mcmaster) which worked. (I have plenty of test shims now). :roll:

I believe variance is a accumulation of all surfaces involved and each tolerance.

Disc rifles reported variance was .052
Mountaineer/ultralight variance.009

On my two 45 cal mountaineers it take .009 or .010 crush on my primers witch or cci 209m to get clean primers and no primers sticking in bolt so .002 will not work for me.

Let me clarify some information on this.

The current new mountaineer/Ultralites/Extremes are not head spaced from Knight. Some are really clean some are not. With the new Bestil plug, your Knight ML will be properly head spaced and clean if done properly. A properly head spaced plug will eliminate stuck primers and any chance of blowback. In my opinion only, I would highly suggest you send your action to him for all the much it costs. This will eliminate any differences in measuring, and a guarantee it will be done right. I would also reccomend you use a regular CCI primer. They seem to be the most consistent in sizing and In between a Winchester and federal size wise. Which would allow you to use a federal or Winchester if you needed to for whatever reason. The new Knight breech plugs wear out so fast, this is really a must for all new gun owners. If you have an original Lehigh conversion with a removable vent I see no need for this plug unless your getting blow back. Knight tolerances were really bad in the old days so it's hard to have one plug for all guns. That's what makes the Bestil plug such a good idea cause it can be made to fit all guns. I hope this info helps out!!

a1smokepole said:
On my two 45 cal mountaineers it take .009 or .010 crush on my primers witch or cci 209m to get clean primers and no primers sticking in bolt so .002 will not work for me.

The reference to .002 is only to know your getting primer crush in measurement steps.
To obtain proper breech plug length.
If you do the steps and end up with more crush thats fine. As long as i get measurements from requested steps i can figure needed length.
I would recommend a crush of .005 but i will set to your preference if so desired.

Good info. :yeah:
I know your talking about custom fitting BP's.... but what if someone has a rifle with the RPJ setup in it? Will there be a "generic or standard sized" plug/carrier available to fit their rifle (extreme/elite or mountaineer)?

As it is right now, it appears Knight is not offering bare primer as an option any longer on the Extreme without ordering the upgraded bolt/plug after purchase. Maybe they will begin to offer it as part of the purchase, rather than an added purchase after buying the rifle? I know on the mountaineer you can get the rifle with the bare primer setup already in it.

Will the primer carrier for the RPJ bolts be available for purchase? Thx

This custom plug will be for a disc rifle with bare primer conversion bolt adapter or replace bolt handle to mountaineer style

How is this project progressing?
Any news or pictures at this point?
Thanks! :think:

Back