Barrel Oil/Lube Recommendation?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried many things over the last 65 years. I have ended up using Birchwood Casey synthetic gun oil. Synthetic oil of good quality does not dry up and does not leave tar or carbon in the barrel if you do not get it all out before you load and shoot the gun.

Lee 9 said:
I have tried many things over the last 65 years. I have ended up using Birchwood Casey synthetic gun oil. Synthetic oil of good quality does not dry up and does not leave tar or carbon in the barrel if you do not get it all out before you load and shoot the gun.

I have been pleased with BC Rimicade. Is this the synthetic you speak of? Either way, it's good stuff.

When I started I was told to use WD40 and bore butter to lube and keep them from rusting up, deff plan to use better products on my new rifle tho.....

These are the ones I have tried and trust.

Birchwood Casey Sheath/Barricade
Montana Extreme Gun Oil
Breakfree

Ones I don't trust

Bore Butter
Kroll oil (its a great oil to loosen things but not protect. It tends to pool in the bottom of the breech)
Automatic Transmission Fluid (some people use it. I just never had the guts to try it)

In a sidelock shooting BP I use Ballistol. In an inline shooting BH 209 I use Mobil One.

Qwerty11 said:
What do you guys recommend to coat the inside of the barrel with to inhibit rust?

There's a-lot of good ones out there. Synthetics are the craze right now.

What you want to pay attention to-most are two things.

1) That the can/bottle says Rust Inhibitor, not Rust Preventer. A product like bore butter is a rust preventer. What rust preventers do is protect the bore from moisture. But rust preventers generally do not remove moisture / absorb moisture. What they do is trap moisture that might still exist in your bore. A rust inhibitor will grab moisture / absorb moisture and remove it from your barrel when swabbing.

2) You want a product that stays-put and there's a better chance of that using more modern-day synthetics. You do not want thin oil remnants inside your bore to run down the bore over the winter and/or dry-out the bore. As a precaution, I never store my MLs with the breechplug installed and do store them-all upside-down.

I was using Breakfree Collector, a top-dog rust inhibitor. Now I hear it's being discontinued, so I researched what pistol-packing cops use. The police never use a runny product and they are constantly outdoors, their pistols subjected to all kinds of weather and humidity. Many I know use either Weapons Shield or Slip 2000EWL. So when I run out of Breakfree Collector in my rifles, I'm using Slip 2000EWL..... which I currently use in my three pistols.

It works great - stays put and never dries out and repels buildup of things like copper, lead, carbon....etc.

LarryBud said:
Lee 9 said:

I have been pleased with BC Rimicade. Is this the synthetic you speak of? Either way, it's good stuff.
I have heard that there are 5 or 6 synthetic gun oils that are only different in the package, I suspect that's one of them, Barricade is also very similar I use it also.

I think one of the most important parts is to make sure that the bore lube you use is 'all' synthetic... The only two that I use are Montana X-Treme 'Bore Conditioner and/or Slip 2000

Anyone's thoughts on using Mobil 1?

There's a couple outdoor gun oil tests on the internet featuring Mobil-1 and it didn't fare that well. Complaints included it being real thin, as most cars today call for either 5W-20 or 0W-20. Read where people that used 15W-50 Mobil-1 cited better results staying-put, but the inhibitacy isn't that good for long-term storage that doesn't have proper humidity precautions taken.

I've been reading some home remedies like using a 50-50 mix of Mobil-1 and ATF Fluid (Mercon) are used jointly. I never realized both would even mix properly when put together in the same bottle.

In a bizarre twist involving a couple members at Rugers forum, one swears by 3 in 1 Oil, then dabs Vaseline on the pistol's slide parts. Another uses straight Mineral Oil-only. Another member fishes almost everyday and uses that yellow oil-stuff for fishing reels on all his guns

I am not a keeper of homemade remedies for pistols, MLs, centerfires.... whatever! But I do enjoy reading all the opinions on what these folks use, involving home remedies.

Qwerty11 said:
What do you guys recommend to coat the inside of the barrel with to inhibit rust?

I've never had an issue using just a good quality gun oil (Hoppe's, etc). My guns are kept in a gunsafe so I'm sure that helps.

But I assume this question relates to your other one about removing the rust... I'm not sure what will work best on a barrel that has had rust removed. It will certainly tend to re-rust. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd consider a bore coating and then use something beyond that. The link that Encore provided to that test is good info, very detailed info about alot of products.

Maybe someone that has dealt with after-rust issues can chime in.

To keep barrels from re-rusting and you prefer not to use oil, then use something like Super Lube in a tube from Harbor Freight or a gun grease-brand like Tetra Gun Grease. If you are in dire straights financially, white lithium grease - actually any grease for things like auto lubrications, bearings lubrications.....etc..... even the kid's Schwinn bicycle grease will work fine. Just a light coat is all you need. Solvent and bore brush takes it all off, prior to hunting. Just keep that bore brush separated from the rest.

Not knowing how you store your firearms, one thing NOT to do, is store them in a gun case. Even a well protected firearm if stored in some gun cases can rust up. I know one person who cleaned and lubricated, properly, his Traditions rifle and put it in his gun case, then slid it under his bed. Next year it was so badly rusted, he ended up cutting the barrel in pieces for safety and purchased a different rifle.
If the rifle isn't pitted badly, once you get the existing rust removed, lubricate it with the highest quality lubricant available to you. The test provided above shows excellent lubricants. Newer lubricants were not included in his testing. As stated above, Montana Extreme Accuracy oil is another great product. Immediately clean and lubricate after a shooting session. To often some get in a hurry to get involved in something else, putting off cleaning for a couple days.

Many, many years ago I recall reading an article about storing guns and oils to use. The article had no brand to sell, only stated common sense rules to follow. The number one rule for storage was never use liquid oils as a rust preventer/inhibitor. Petroleum products in a paste form was the preferred rule, as in paste form the oils could not bead up and leave open spots unprotected. Still unsure if today's new products can do that or if it is a lot of advertising hype. The rust preventer vs inhibitor line of bull in my opinion is just that, bull. One more thing, notice how many posts here have a different opinion on the latest, greatest, or this is what I do, so should you. Get past the hype and opinions and just use common sense and mostly elbow grease.

Back