T/C Strike with Leupold Ultimate Slam SABR-Best Load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snug7

Reaction score
Thompson Center T/C Strike with Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9 SABR. What are some of the best bullets/pellets to use for this for whitetail hunting from 0-300 yards?
The SABR can be calibrated to have the multiple reticles on target in 50 yard increments out to 300 yards. I've heard the gun is considered capable of hunting to 250 yards.
I want to buy the best bullets, pellets, and primers before I go through the trouble of sighting this in.
Anyone have any advice on what I should get?

Snug7 said:
Thompson Center T/C Strike with Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9 SABR. What are some of the best bullets/pellets to use for this for whitetail hunting from 0-300 yards?
The SABR can be calibrated to have the multiple reticles on target in 50 yard increments out to 300 yards. I've heard the gun is considered capable of hunting to 250 yards.
I want to buy the best bullets, pellets, and primers before I go through the trouble of sighting this in.
Anyone have any advice on what I should get?

Asking about the "best bullets" can get you many different answers. Its like asking Chevy or Ford. What I will suggest is that if you intend to take long range hunting shots, use heavier quality bullets of 290gr or more. A heavier bullet retains more energy at longer ranges than does a lighter bullet. The Barnes 290gr T-EZ and the Parker 300gr. Ballistic Extremes are very good bullets. Understand that heavier bullets shot with heavier charges produce more recoil.
If your intent is to only shoot pellets, then I'd suggest Triple Seven pellets. A better choice IMO is Blackhorn 209 loose propellant. http://www.blackhorn209.com/ BH209 IMO should be shot with magnum primers. Either the Federal 209A or CCI209M. Triple Seven takes a lower pressure primer, not magnum primers.

Please note that long range shooting isn't a walk in the park, unless you practice a lot at long ranges. Most all in-line rifles made today are capable of 200yd hunting. Shooting to 250yds is about the maximum IMO with production muzzleloaders, that is for bullet energy. With magnum charges and heavier bullets, the bullets will loose the necessary energy at 300yds. They're down to, at or less then 1,000 fpe. Practice, practice, practice.

I've heard the gun is considered capable of hunting to 250 yards.

Then you might want to look at other options if you goal is shooting out to 300 yards. Bullet design and construction become critical when you start talking about extended ranges. Its fairly simple to tailor a load for say...150 yard max because the velocity at impact is not going to be different by a huge amount.

At 300 yards a great load for 150 yards may have slowed down too much to expand properly at 300 yard. Also, a good 300 yard load might be pushing the limits of what a bullet can handle well at 50 yards.

Bullet selection becomes more narrow and finding a accurate load for that limited selection becomes more difficult. Often times it becomes far more costly too. You may need to look at "specialty" bullets like the Accumax or Parkers to achieve both accuracy and long range reliability.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Let's say I only am gonna take shots out to 250 yards. Would I still want to go heavy for the bullets or would 245 grain work?
Any reason why the powder is better than the pellets?
The odds are I won't be taking shots past 200, and the vast majority of them should be less than 100, but I would like to try to get myself setup to at least be capable of the 250 shots if needed.

Snug7 said:
Thanks for the advice guys!
Let's say I only am gonna take shots out to 250 yards. Would I still want to go heavy for the bullets or would 245 grain work?
Any reason why the powder is better than the pellets?
The odds are I won't be taking shots past 200, and the vast majority of them should be less than 100, but I would like to try to get myself setup to at least be capable of the 250 shots if needed.

This is just my 2¢....... I prefer bullets of 250grs or higher. But that's me. Doesn't mean that a 200gr bullet won't kill a whitetail just as dead but, heavier bullets remain stabilized at longer distances and with more energy. Without question, Barnes is my personal favorite for shooting from production muzzleloaders. HOWEVER...... I shoot an awful lot. Practice, practice, practice. A really great bullet of lighter weight (275gr) is the Parker Ballistic Extreme. Very dependable bullet and accurate at ranges out to 250yds.

As already mentioned, one bullet may work exceptionally well at 50yds, but isn't worth a nickel at 200yds. Or the opposite. The most important thing, without question, is the shooter's confidence and shot placement. Its one thing to shoot accurately at any range using a lead sled, or with both a front and rear support. Its a complete different thing to shoot without that rear support, like most hunting situations with only a front rest. It takes lots of practice shooting just off the shoulder and a front rest to gain the confidence for 200yd or 250yd shots at game.

Will the 245gr work? IMO only if its a premium bullet. I WOULD NOT shoot powerbelt bullets myself. Ever. If you're shooting a light weight bullet, thinking that you're shots will only be 100yds and then that buckdaddy steps out at 238yds, well?? My opinion is that if I even may have the possibility of a 200 or 250yd shot, I'd rather be prepared with the heavier bullet.

"Broken Record".............. practice, practice, practice.

I have emailed several of the bullet companies and black horn 209 and Thompson. Almost all of them have recommended a 250 grain bullet.
They did not give a lot of details, but one of them said that I should not shoot this past 300 yards as the bullet will stop expanding after that point.
I'm think about trying a 250 grain and maybe a heavier bullet also.

I was thinking a 1 piece AR style mount would work turned backwards. Try to find the lowest set offered
Mark6_IMS_34mm_RH-530x318.jpg

The only problem with the AR mounts is the base must be a true M4 picatinny spec. I ran into this issue with the Burris PEPR mount.

Burris-PEPR-Mount-600x561.jpg

PEPR-bottom-detail-600x282.jpg

300 grn Parker Ballistic Extreme. Shoots very well out of my Redemption. 110 grns Black Horn Federal 209A. A little pricey but if only to hunt with no big deal.

The 300gr BE would be a bullet i would try given your criteria. It should hold up better to a hot BH209 load up close, fly better than the 275gr but still expand well past 200 yards.

I have a love hate relationship with the 275gr BE. I love how well it shoots and kills. I hate how it can be a bit fragile at high impact speeds. You do not want to take a high shoulder shot with them if you are concerned about meat damage. Keep them in the boiler room for best results. They fly plenty good for 200 yard shots which is a little over my max under field conditions.

I have shot the 300 grn FPB out of a TC Triumph. It shot pretty good. It is a bullet that either fits or doesn't. Since your strike is a TC gun it might work. Another option for a conical bullet would be the Thor. Unlike the jacketed FPB it is a solid copper. You can order a sizing pack from Muzzle-loader.com. Sizing pack has four bullets, .500,.501,.502,.503. You start with the smallest dia. Pushing the bullet into the bore to see which size fits the best. Then you know what size to order. I know you can find a video on the net that demonstrates. :yeah: I think either the BE or TEZ would be a good choice if you decide to go that way. FWIW some shooters like the solid copper bullets because there is never an issue with jacket/core separation.

Latest posts

Back