HEARING PROTECTION

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
WHEN WE WERE YOUNG, AND, had good hearing we didn't wear any. We shot rifles, revolvers, and shotguns, and never protected our hearing. Before OSHA, i worked years, and years of construction, and never protected my hearing. Nowadays, i can no longer hear, and now use hearing protection.

IMG_1670.JPG

For a couple of years now i have been using about 3 pair a week of the pictured ear plugs. It seems my hands are always dirty, which transfers to the plugs, and necessitates replacement. New plugs are also easier to insert.

Lately, it seems visiting is more and more difficult, because of my hearing loss. When out in the hills i no longer hear bird song, nor gongs when they are smacked. So....... i figured i would try and get some help.

gameear.jpg

Well, it turns out the game ear really does work as advertised. Whilst wearing it, i can hear bird talking, and when the trigger is pulled, it near instantly, shuts down. This protects what little hearing i have left. After a session of shooting my ears feel good. My ears don't ring, plus i can listen to birds, or the radio between shots.

However, a problem developed. The orange insert got dirty, from my dirty hands, and ears. Replacements are not available for purchase, unless one purchases packages at $5, or $10. with one of the orange insert in them. Five dollars each, seems a bit steep to me; ten dollars each, is much too much.

Wondering if one could make hollow ear plugs, i put a package of the standard ear plugs in the freezer, and prepared a jig on the drill press table. For drilling the plugs, a 1/8" brad point drill was used. For making the jig, a 1/2" brad point drill was used. The chilled plug drilled nicely. These days i don't bother chilling the plugs, i just drill them warm, and that works just fine.

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

Ron, good thinking!!

I just ordered this as I'm tired of deer sneaking up on me, not to mention my High Frequency Loss. I can't hear birds a lot of times as well as other high pitch sounds. Plus it gets embarrising to have people repeat what they said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRjIwxlezA ProSounds M4

I won't get it until July, but I can wait especially at the price. Normally $139 for $90 and that includes shipping

Muley Hunter said:
I have a bad ear drum, so I don't like sticking ear plugs in my ear. I use these for shooting and hunting. An added benefit is they keep my ears warm when hunting in the cold.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/647037 ... 27db-black

Amazon has them $5 cheaper with free shipping (prime). Not a bad looking muff, I had a deer walk up to my backside last Oct. in archery season. I never heard it till it blew an ran when I moved, was right behind me!!

toytruck said:
Muley Hunter said:
I have a bad ear drum, so I don't like sticking ear plugs in my ear. I use these for shooting and hunting. An added benefit is they keep my ears warm when hunting in the cold.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/647037 ... 27db-black

Amazon has them $5 cheaper with free shipping (prime). Not a bad looking muff, I had a deer walk up to my backside last Oct. in archery season. I never heard it till it blew an ran when I moved, was right behind me!!

As a still hunter i'm always aware of moving quiet. The muffs really let me know if i'm not being quiet enough.

Great topic. Last year was my first year with using muffs while hunting. Most hunters around here look at ya with a crazy look if you have muffs on. The muffs do a great job of keeping your ears warm on the cold windy days. I found another benifit was hearing other hunters prior to seeing them. I would like to try the over ear setup and see if there is less stock interference while shooting.

One of the advantages of the muffs besides the warm ears and hearing much better is i'm ready to take a quick shot without worrying about damaging my hearing.

Cattledog said:
I would like to try the over ear setup and see if there is less stock interference while shooting.

That's why I ordered the ProSounds M4. They have cut outs on each ear muff so it does not interfere with the stock. Plus the have microphones in front and the rear of each muff so you have better perception of the direction the sound is coming from. I won't get mine until July but I figured I'd take a chance especially being the price is $90.

the foam plugs just put them in a quart jar half full of hot water, squirt a little dawn dish liquid in them and shake very hard very a minute or two let sit overnight, next day rinse out squeeze and let dry good as new.. did this for years work in a noisy warehouse and out on the ramp of a airport, used to have a gallon jug full of them that Id saved.. I used most of them up over the years cutting firewood and losing them.

WHEN WE WERE YOUNG, AND, had good hearing we didn't wear any. We shot rifles, revolvers, and shotguns, and never protected our hearing. Before OSHA, i worked years, and years of construction, and never protected my hearing. Nowadays, i can no longer hear, and now use hearing protection.

IMG_1670.JPG

For a couple of years now i have been using about 3 pair a week of the pictured ear plugs. It seems my hands are always dirty, which transfers to the plugs, and necessitates replacement. New plugs are also easier to insert.

Lately, it seems visiting is more and more difficult, because of my hearing loss. When out in the hills i no longer hear bird song, nor gongs when they are smacked. So....... i figured i would try and get some help.

gameear.jpg

Well, it turns out the game ear really does work as advertised. Whilst wearing it, i can hear bird talking, and when the trigger is pulled, it near instantly, shuts down. This protects what little hearing i have left. After a session of shooting my ears feel good. My ears don't ring, plus i can listen to birds, or the radio between shots.

However, a problem developed. The orange insert got dirty, from my dirty hands, and ears. Replacements are not available for purchase, unless one purchases packages at $5, or $10. with one of the orange insert in them. Five dollars each, seems a bit steep to me; ten dollars each, is much too much.

Wondering if one could make hollow ear plugs, i put a package of the standard ear plugs in the freezer, and prepared a jig on the drill press table. For drilling the plugs, a 1/8" brad point drill was used. For making the jig, a 1/2" brad point drill was used. The chilled plug drilled nicely. These days i don't bother chilling the plugs, i just drill them warm, and that works just fine.

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG
gotta love cheap simple mods that can make a big difference in $ or performance !

Seems most of us older guys have the same problem, had a doe sneak up behind me bow hunting this morning.sucks not hearing them anymore. I believe I will try that hearing device, thanks

Back