muzzle velocity using bh209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gmstack said:
good idea I have those also next trip I shall try them. guy

The H5045LB should shoot good from the RU with the 300gr SST. Its the same bullet/sabot the UF rifles shoot with heavy charges. Same ignition system.

How'd they load?

it was tough to start them but once started they loaded smoothly. I shot a 1/2 inch 3 shot group with that combo which by the way you suggested I try. guy

gmstack said:
it was tough to start them but once started they loaded smoothly. I shot a 1/2 inch 3 shot group with that combo which by the way you suggested I try. guy

I was waiting for a range report from the recommendation :lol:

Then may I ask, why if you're shooting a 1/2" group, are you wanting to possibly try different sabots? That's great shoot'n! IMO, I'd work on the charge, accuracy, confidence and NOT worry about velocity. That sabot/bullet combination will work, as you've already witnessed.

Note: Your RU isn't the only RU that that sabot/bullet combination will shoot exceptionally accurate. A couple guys down below are shooting the exact sabot/bullet from their RU's and their accuracy to 300yds is moa.

I have yet to try the hornady ssts at 200 and 300yds and I know from past experience a bullet sabot propellant combination that works at 100yds doesn't always shoot well at longer ranges. and besides I do enjoy the exchanges with other shooters. after all that's what this site is all about isn't it.

gmstack said:
I have yet to try the hornady ssts at 200 and 300yds and I know from past experience a bullet sabot propellant combination that works at 100yds doesn't always shoot well at longer ranges. and besides I do enjoy the exchanges with other shooters. after all that's what this site is all about isn't it.

Yup, but very few shooters have experience with these rifles and ignition systems, and/or these heavy of charges. Sadly.
I believe you'll find the heavier bullets stabilize very well out beyond 200yds. When you do try longer range, please report your results.

Back